The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Trying to get back in the saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/trying-get-back-saddle-118633/)

Jessxox 04-03-2012 02:32 PM

Trying to get back in the saddle

Hi all,

I am new to horse forum and would like some support. I rode for 3 year untill I had a bad fall and combined with mental illness beginning to develop I was sadly driven away from riding.

Tomorrow I am going o see a friend and we are going up to see her horses I am really looking forward to it but I am quite nervous. She know how I feel and know that I have not been with a horse of a good 2 years. It is a really big thing but I want to get back the happiness being with horses gave me.

If any one has any tips on how to keep calm ect the advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Love Jess

tinyliny 04-03-2012 02:50 PM

Well, if you are able to change your inner dialoque from how YOU are feeling when you meet the horses, to "how is this horse feeling?" , maybe that will keep you from worrying about yourself. You don't have to ride the first time you see these horses. Just pet them and BE with them and really observe them.

I do hope all goes well for you and that you can find a new balance with horses. It's hard to come back after a time away, but I think it will actually be much easier in real life than in your mind.
Good luck!

yadlim 04-03-2012 02:56 PM

I agree with tinyliny, I believe that you will find yourself having a lot more fun if yyou just go and BE with the horses. The right horse will just love on you and try to scrach your concerns away. Spend an hour, or two grooming and getting to know the horse.

Then, when you feel like you and the horse have a bit of a friendship, see about getting on. The main thing is to stop before you feel uncomfortable. That may be in ten minutes - or you may find yourself three hours down the trail and having an absolute BLAST.

The word here is relax and enjoy the hrose.

Oh - and carrots never hurt.

Jessxox 04-03-2012 02:57 PM

Hi tinyliny,

Thanks for your reply :) that's sounds like a good plan thank you x

Jessxox 04-03-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yadlim (Post 1437185)
I agree with tinyliny, I believe that you will find yourself having a lot more fun if yyou just go and BE with the horses. The right horse will just love on you and try to scrach your concerns away. Spend an hour, or two grooming and getting to know the horse.

Then, when you feel like you and the horse have a bit of a friendship, see about getting on. The main thing is to stop before you feel uncomfortable. That may be in ten minutes - or you may find yourself three hours down the trail and having an absolute BLAST.

The word here is relax and enjoy the hrose.

Oh - and carrots never hurt.

Thank you, I'm just going to go with the flow and get to know the horse and RELAX :) I will pop a carrot in my bag :) x

Saskia 04-04-2012 02:28 AM

I had a bad fall a year or so ago and didn't feel comfortable riding or hanging around horses until recently.

To help combat my nerves I just focus on what I am doing. If I am focusing on brushing the horse I can ignore my nerves, if I focusing on my lower leg I can ignore the fear of falling etc. Finally I am feeling much better on horse back and while I wouldn't go ride some crazy young thing, I feel confident on a variety of horses.

The fear was a big thing for me and I just sat down and thought about it one day and asked myself if my fear of falling/dying/being hurt etc was greater than the happiness, pleasure I direction I get from riding? I thought about how I would feel in 10, 20 or 30 years when I looked back on my youth and if I would regret not doing one of the few things I like doing, and am good at? I don't want to be a person who gives up things because of fear. I am much more cautious than I was, and I am making safer choices but I am still doing what I love.

Only you can push past your fear - but you don't have to do it all at once. Just ease yourself into it and see if it still makes you happy.

robohog 04-04-2012 02:55 AM

I agree with most on here who say a horse will feed off you. If your nervous hes gonna be nervous. If you are relaxed he will relax. i know one day i may get hurt doing this but at the barn i stable our horse in, i usuallly just walk up to any horse and start petting him and giving treats. I dont fear horses so maybe thats why i have never had an issue with a horse. There have been times a female horse owner will come up to me and say "thats funny, my horse usually dosent like males". I really think its about how you approach the horse.

SHINE LIMITED 06-16-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessxox (Post 1437160)
Hi all,

I am new to horse forum and would like some support. I rode for 3 year untill I had a bad fall and combined with mental illness beginning to develop I was sadly driven away from riding.

Tomorrow I am going o see a friend and we are going up to see her horses I am really looking forward to it but I am quite nervous. She know how I feel and know that I have not been with a horse of a good 2 years. It is a really big thing but I want to get back the happiness being with horses gave me.

If any one has any tips on how to keep calm ect the advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Love Jess

Posted via Mobile Device

SHINE LIMITED 06-16-2012 02:56 PM

I taught for many years and encounters terrified people who took bad falls.if u get in the saddle, walk only for as long as it takes. I had adults who walked in lessons for months and suddenly picked up a trot-their decision.they would be beaming! Some would cry.we would celebrate! Be in control of your own progress and never be pushed beyond your level of fear.the advice to hang out with horses to start by the others fab and right on!
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 06-16-2012 03:54 PM

Hey Jess, take an apple and a carrot and just have some fun. No need to ride, no need do anything that makes you uncomfortable.....

My guess is, regardless of your fear, the horses would enjoy an apple or a carrot.