The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Help please i have a stupid question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/help-please-i-have-stupid-question-118683/)

WesternRider 04-03-2012 11:42 PM

Help please i have a stupid question

Hi i have now owned bert since jan 24 (my 19th bday) he has gained quite a few pounds now finally a huge diffence from december to now. but here is my stupid question. I am starting to feed bert fiber max (one scoop normal feed scoop), wheatbran/sweetfeed/beet pulp mix (one cup), and a few hay cubes in his am and pm feed. today i just got COB and step 2 for him to try to gain the rest of the weight he needs but how much should i give to him? should i give bert a cup of cob and a cup of step 2 at his am and pm feed or ? For hay he gets three flakes of local in am, one flake at lunch, and three local and one grass/alfalfa for pm. I dont know much of his past but i know he is an ex standerbred pacer, he was sold to some bad people who neglected him severely. when the horse rescue place found him he had no shelter, no blanket, no food nor water, and he had a nail in his frog. The rescue place saw his tattoo and called his original owner and he took bert back that was last year. in december when i first met bert i could see every rib and his spine. and now i cant see his spine but i can still see his ribs and it worries me so much because i dont want him to get skinny.. help... please :{...... (well im not realy berts owner but i am his long term leaser his owners said hes mine but they will take care of vet bills and what not and i take care of his boarding and feed :} )

loveduffy 04-03-2012 11:59 PM

I do not know the feed you are given him now But I would put him on equine senior and a cup of veg oil am and pm, the hay sound good and supplements for hooves it is every thing he needs

waresbear 04-04-2012 12:06 AM

COB is cheap feed, it's just Corn, Oats, Barley. Up the hay & the high fibre feed and a good carb is the beet pulp. Your sweetfeed & all the rest isn't doing to give you the results you want.

WesternRider 04-04-2012 12:15 AM

im mostly useing the cob and step 2 stuff as a treat the bran/sweetfeed/beet mix is just because he doesnt like plain fiber max he spits it out if i dont add stuff

WesternRider 04-04-2012 02:10 AM

does anyone think i should up the ProForm step right Step Two peak extruded