The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Where Can I register My horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/where-can-i-register-my-horse-118727/)

flyingchange1991 04-04-2012 10:59 AM

Where Can I register My horse?

Ok so after 3 years I finally picked out a show name for my mare "Watch That Gypsy Mischief" question is should I register her in some organization? Problems: I dont know her pedigree because she was found in a kill pen, and shes almost 13, also more than likely we're just going to be doing WSCA shows and some state fair shows, do we need to be part of a registry for those? We're in Minnesota if that makes any difference

Speed Racer 04-04-2012 11:06 AM

As long as you're not trying to show her in any breed-specific shows, there's no reason to worry about whether or not she's registered.

Besides, since you have no clue exactly what she is, any registry that would accept her would be worse than useless. The only thing you'd get would be a lighter wallet, and a worthless 'registration' paper not recognized by an reputable registry.

GoAppendix 04-04-2012 11:33 AM

No, you do not need a registered horse to show WSCA.

flyingchange1991 04-04-2012 12:13 PM

thanks! can i still use the show name at WSCA and state fair shows? probably a stupid question but you never know!

GoAppendix 04-04-2012 12:42 PM

Yep, you can use whatever name you like.

stevenson 04-04-2012 05:06 PM

If you want to have her DNA'd to find out if she is a specific breed google it.
It is most likely expensive, and you still would probably not be able to register the horse. There are age limits in some breeds,and with no breeder certificates and the proper filed stallion reports your chance of registry are slim to none.

maura 04-04-2012 05:58 PM

Just about any local show organzition will accept whatever you enter the horse as that day. They won't even keep track of the name changes unless you have are accumlating points or are in a restricted division (Like a "green" division)

My lesson kids used to come up with new show names at every show, and it made me crazy.

Just enter her under her new name and have fun. Make sure you do have a Coggins in the correct name though.

CCH 04-04-2012 06:07 PM

If she has enough white, you can get pinto papers for very cheap. No DNA or pedigree required.

(They also have some rules allowing solids, but I'm not familiar with that process.)

flyingchange1991 04-05-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 1438846)
Just about any local show organzition will accept whatever you enter the horse as that day. They won't even keep track of the name changes unless you have are accumlating points or are in a restricted division (Like a "green" division)

My lesson kids used to come up with new show names at every show, and it made me crazy.

Just enter her under her new name and have fun. Make sure you do have a Coggins in the correct name though.

crap another problem i just realized, the coggins lists Gypsy but its spelled totally wrong "Gypsee" (spelling has to be a thing with large animal vets last year it was Gsypie) is there a way i can call them and have the name changed? or am i stuck with it for a whole year!? :shock:

Speed Racer 04-05-2012 11:29 AM

In the scheme of things, it's not a big deal. As long as the coggins matches the horse and the name is close enough, it should be okay.

My vet uses an actual picture of the animal now, which I think is nifty.