The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Little Jenna Passes Away (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/little-jenna-passes-away-118745/)

Barry Godden 04-04-2012 01:46 PM

Little Jenna Passes Away

My little Heinzie 57 terrier, Jenna, would normally be sitting at my feet as I tap away on this laptop. In future I shall have to get used to sitting alone. She will not be here to bark at someone knocking on the door nor will she be there to stop my Rottie from coming up and disturbing my train of thought.

Somewhere around now it would have been her 17th birthday. She was already six when she found me. Her first owner was flying off to live in Florida and she had asked the local kennels if they knew of a good home. Jenna has since been living with me for just over ten years. Of course, at the time she had to be approved of by the resident canine incumbent a rather boisterous Staffie. She moved in with his grudging acceptance. In due course, as canine mistress of the household, it became her turn to be the judge of his successor, a sociable Rottie. Dogs are funny like that. They pass the baton of the guardianship of their humans from one to the other. A house without a dog is lacking something and our household has not been without the continuing presence of a dog for over 34 years.

Jenna had been in trouble healthwise for sometime although she had borne her pain with stoicism. The steroid pills which keep a dog alive charge a toll for the service. It is not just the grey hair around the muzzle that marks old age but in Jenna’s case, the hair actually fell out. The areas around her tail, her neck and her paws had been rubbed bare - a bit like my own bald head. However merely standing up was becoming onerous for her.

As many dog owners will verify, dogs don’t make their passing an easy exercise for the human owner. Dogs rarely go on their way of their own volition. Invariably it is for the human to make the decision of ongoing life or final death. As the dog ages so its behaviour begins to change and the caring owner begins to notice the beckoning call of Mother Nature. The joints stiffen as arthritis makes its presence felt. The dog steadily becomes more hesitant in the presence of other dogs. They start to cling to the heels of their owner. The sight loses focus and the hearing drops off. They can still smell and they have their daily routine, which they expect to continue until the very end. In the later years my Staffie lost his marbles and I had to keep a close eye on him whereas little Jenna was alert to the end but gradually she lost her mobility. She became a frail old lady who could easily fall or be knocked over. Eventually she could not even climb into her bed, or sometimes if she managed to get into it, she might not be able to get out of it. Then there would be an accident or two. It can take weeks to house train a puppy but once the routine has been established it hates to make a mess in its own pad, even if the master would never chastise it in old age for making an involuntary mistake.

I had chosen the place for her to rest in the garden under a tree invariably inhabited by flocks of birds. Each year that tree gets bigger and the visiting birds more numerous. Maybe it is because I feed them throughout the year. We shall be buying a chair to stand on the slabs under which Jenna will lay. The grave had been made ready for a couple of weeks before I made the inevitable decision.

Watching her walk or rather stumble was becoming more and more stressful. I waited until my wife agreed that the time had come. The vet already knew of Jenna‘s condition, I phoned at 8.30 am and by 11.30 we were in the surgery. During the journey she had sat on my lap closely interested as usual in the sights along the way as if she knew it was for the last time. I carried Jenna in from the car and put her down on the table in the surgery. The vet and the nurse appeared but I kept hold of Jenna myself. A patch was shaved on the paw. Jenna did not make a sound. I said ‘bye-bye as the vet inserted the needle and within a second or two my faithful hound had gone limp. Gradually I felt the inert weight of her. She was still warm to the touch yet strangely unresponsive to my fingers. She was looking upwards at me with unseeing glazed eyes. There had not been one murmur of stress from her. We waited for a few moments to ensure that she had passed on her way. With treatment over, I picked her up gently, I wrapped her in a towel and I carried her out to the car and brought her home.

Once we arrived all that remained was to lay her in her final resting place and cover her over with soft earth. It has been my custom to send my pet on its way along with something of mine, invariably a coat which I had worn when walking them. In this case it was a favourite blue riding jacket which she would recognise and draw comfort from. Who knows just how long she’ll rest there under the tree. Maybe forever.

I came back into the house. Each morning I shall easily be able to see her resting place from my chair in the kitchen and anyway her photo sits alongside the fireplace opposite my recliner where usually I sit to write. Her presence will live in my head until my time comes to pass along the same track to who knows where. However, it is going to take sometime before my jaw stops puckering whenever I think of her.
Barry G 4/4/2012

Cacowgirl 04-04-2012 01:54 PM

What a lovely memorial-you made me feel her presence. My condolences on your loss.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-04-2012 01:56 PM

Oh Barry, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes reading that, I had to make that call last summer with my 16 yo female shorthair. Hardest thing we have to do as pet owners. RIP Jenna.

Speed Racer 04-04-2012 01:58 PM

My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Jenna. They're never with us long enough.

DuffyDuck 04-04-2012 01:59 PM

Having been through this three times in recent years, it brought tears to my eyes reading this Barry.

Our old girl, Sage, went blind in 48 hours, and couldn't cope. She had no quality of life and we had her put to sleep, I couldn't cry for her, just wished it hadn't happened.

The other two we lost as puppies, one through an unknown blood disorder, and the other when her leash snapped and she was hit by a car.

They do let you know when its time though, and after knowing her for ten years you would have been the best person to know.

Thoughts are with you.

tinyliny 04-04-2012 02:22 PM

Crying over my coffee while reading this. few are honored as beautifully as Jenna has been.

dirtroadangel 04-04-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1438544)
Crying over my coffee while reading this. few are honored as beautifully as Jenna has been.

BarryI'm so sorry for your loss.. They are like our children...
It sounds like he was ready...
This sounds crazy but I had a beautiful Maine Coon cat we had to put down because of Feline Leukemia.. Joey was a bag of bones his eyes had abcesses. we had to give him a double shot he didn't want to leave me.
When I got home I could still feel him brushing up against my legs. I bent down and said a prayer and said good bye...
I swear I could hear a faint meow.
They are waiting for us....
You will see him again...
I truly believe that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Barry Godden 04-05-2012 03:52 AM

Thank you all for your kind words.

This morning I get up and she is not there ......there's no bark asking for her breakfast. I had removed her bed - it is not there where it should be.
My mind is dominated by her.

Now I have been through this type of situation before. The photos on the wall are reminders of previous members of the canine household. As each one passed on so there came the grief of their no longer being present.
It always hurts.

There is presently a sadness about the house.
But for the moment I am forgetting just how badly her body had decayed.
I am forgetting just why I took the action I did, when I did.
It had to be, whilst she was still functioning acceptably.
She went out on a good note.
I sincerely believe I got the timing right.

I think her absence is beginning to impact upon my Rottie.
I look over to him - he's almost ten and he has Cushings disease.
Thanks to the pills, he's presently doing well for which I am grateful.

Last evening I looked at some dog rescue sites on the Internet. There are numerous mutts looking for a permanent home. Sooner or later I must go looking to see if there is one poor little soul who needs some t.l.c.
But not yet.

Maybe some waif will come walking through the door of its own accord.

B G

dirtroadangel 04-05-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Godden (Post 1439588)
Thank you all for your kind words.

This morning I get up and she is not there ......there's no bark asking for her breakfast. I had removed her bed - it is not there where it should be.
My mind is dominated by her.
God Bless You Barry.. I am so sorry I called Jenna a boy.
God will send another lil angel. You'll know...
I went out after my Joey and got 2 from Spca...
Felt like i was betraying him alittle...
It does help you to move on tho...

Now I have been through this type of situation before. The photos on the wall are reminders of previous members of the canine household. As each one passed on so there came the grief of their no longer being present.
It always hurts.

There is presently a sadness about the house.
But for the moment I am forgetting just how badly her body had decayed.
I am forgetting just why I took the action I did, when I did.
It had to be, whilst she was still functioning acceptably.
She went out on a good note.
I sincerely believe I got the timing right.

I think her absence is beginning to impact upon my Rottie.
I look over to him - he's almost ten and he has Cushings disease.
Thanks to the pills, he's presently doing well for which I am grateful.

Last evening I looked at some dog rescue sites on the Internet. There are numerous mutts looking for a permanent home. Sooner or later I must go looking to see if there is one poor little soul who needs some t.l.c.
But not yet.

Maybe some waif will come walking through the door of its own accord.

B G

Posted via Mobile Device

dirtroadangel 04-05-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtroadangel (Post 1439719)
Posted via Mobile Device

Could you share a pic. of Jenna with us.
Posted via Mobile Device