The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   HORSES keep escaping! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/horses-keep-escaping-118768/)

barrelbeginner 04-04-2012 04:16 PM

HORSES keep escaping!

ok so here is my problem. these horses keep getting on to my property over and over again. we have grass.. they dont. I know the law in colorado is that we have to fence out there horses. so we fixed there fence because it was the fence up. We have fixed this fence no joke like 4 billion times in the last week and not even 20 minutes after we fix it her horses are back over on our pasture. Now my dad wouldnt have that big of a deal with it if our own horses were on that pasture to but we dont have our horses on it so it can grow. My dad is getting really tired of it. We have talked to the lady leasing the property and she said she fixed it once so now we have to.. but we have. I dont want these horses to get hurt but seriously im sick of them getting out on my property... anything I can do.. Mind my dad and I have FIXED the fence a BILLION TIMES! horses cant respect it!

themacpack 04-04-2012 04:19 PM

Next time they get out, contact AC/non-emergency sheriff's line and report loose/stray horses -- they will come out, discuss the situation with the owner and have it on their radar as an issue that can continue to be monitored/create the paper trail for any future instances. Lather, rinse and repeat as necessary.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-04-2012 04:21 PM

Hot wire and a serious fence charger. Idk how the laws work where you are but here each property owner is responsible for half of the fence line. Even though she says she fixed it, it's obviously not been fixed well enough to keep them on their side of the fence. You said she is leasing the property? I'd start by speaking with the actual property owner.

barrelbeginner 04-04-2012 04:22 PM

theyre out right now. but i dont want to start a whole big scene out of it and she isnt home at the moment

barrelbeginner 04-04-2012 04:29 PM

it is hotwire...

AlexS 04-05-2012 01:20 AM

Your wire isn't hot enough. If it is solar charged, they can give a good zap the first time, but the second zap isn't anything, until it recharges. So one horse takes the zap, a second horse tries again and they are through.

You need better fencing. You need better neighbors too, but that isn't within your control as easily.

Joe4d 04-05-2012 04:09 AM

if you are in a fence out state, then it seems like all you can do is fence out. If your horses are gonna use that area it seems like youwould want a decent fence. I am not quite guessing is this a "Noone owns it fence right on the property line ?

mildot 04-05-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbeginner (Post 1438703)
i dont want to start a whole big scene out of it

Then nothing will change.

themacpack 04-05-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildot (Post 1439623)
Then nothing will change.

Yep - you know, the old "definition of insanity" line from ConAir -- doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results.

wyominggrandma 04-05-2012 09:53 AM

Get a better fence charger.We have horses/mules every spring that get put on the property next to us, they push against the fence and we were repairing it,but they, especially the mules would push it again until the posts were loose.So, we got a POWERFUL charger and put up electric fence.It was actually comical to watch the mules walk up and start to lean against the fence, then they hit the wire. You have never seen mules move so fast. Then the next horse walks up to the fence and touch his muzzle to the fence.... Man, you could hear the snap when it got him. Never had them push the fence again.
Call animal control,complain about the horses in writing, get a good fence charger and put it up. Snap and the horses won't break into your pasture anymore.