The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse won't eat Grain or Supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-wont-eat-grain-supplements-118791/)

BellsTouchofClass 04-04-2012 07:31 PM

Horse won't eat Grain or Supplements

Hey everyone,
My 4 year old TB mare has completely stopped eating her grain and supplements. I'm not too worried about the grain, but she needs her supplements daily. She is turned out right now 24/7 and gets to graze all the time. She is worked an hour a day, 6 days a week.
When I first started her on smartpaks 2 weeks ago, she ate all of her grain (a handful just to mix in with the supplements) and all of her supplements. But for the past 3 days, she won't eat any of it. I feed Purina Ultium, but I have tried almost every other kind of grain and sweet feed the past 2 days and she won't touch it. Some people have told me to mix some molasses, or applesauce. I haven't tried either yet but I guess I will tomorrow.
Anyone have some suggestions? I have never had a problem like this before, and it's starting to get frustrating!
Thanks! :D

caseymyhorserocks 04-04-2012 08:28 PM

Have the vet come out and check her teeth and do a general check over.

boots 04-04-2012 08:32 PM

If the horse is declared okay by your vet, you might try dicing a clove of garlic in it's feed. The scent of garlic is an appetite stimulant that many, including me, have used for years.

spirit88 04-04-2012 10:08 PM

I would try the apple sauce that has always worked for my horses iv done the garlic thing and my horses wont touch it. Molasses would aso work but its a sticky mess to deal with.

cmarie 04-04-2012 10:12 PM

Maple syrup works also, my horses love it.

caseymyhorserocks 04-04-2012 10:27 PM

Although adding yummy stuff to the horses grain may help- your horse probably needs their teeth done, and pretty badly if he/she isn't eating.. You need to get the vet out ASAP.

waresbear 04-04-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit88 (Post 1439128)
I would try the apple sauce that has always worked for my horses iv done the garlic thing and my horses wont touch it. Molasses would aso work but its a sticky mess to deal with.

If you microwave it first, it pours fine. And use blackstrap molasses, recommended by Doctors as an antioxidant.

spirit88 04-04-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1439188)
If you microwave it first, it pours fine. And use blackstrap molasses, recommended by Doctors as an antioxidant.

I will have to remember that so next time i need to get a horse to eat something they dont like.

cowboy bowhunter 04-05-2012 03:59 PM

You can use, power from the instant jello packs. Or you could use honey. That is what gets my horse to eat anything.

mls 04-05-2012 04:29 PM

Will she eat the grain without the supplements?