The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Horse wanting to jump poles (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/horse-wanting-jump-poles-118802/)

howrsegirl123 04-04-2012 08:00 PM

Horse wanting to jump poles

Whenever I lay out poles on the ground, whether I'm cantering or trotting them, my horse wants to take a little jump over them. How can I get him not to do this?

Poco1220 04-04-2012 08:29 PM

Subbing
Posted via Mobile Device

Oxer 04-09-2012 01:08 AM

my over zealous jumper did this when i first bought him. what i would do is lay out 8 to 10 poles out on the ground in the proper distance for him to trot them... and then again for him to canter them. back and forth a few times through the poles, and he got the idea. I just stay quiet and squeeze him on. It's something that takes practice. Most horses, if they're a bit green to the idea, just need a moment to figure it out.

howrsegirl123 04-09-2012 04:08 PM

Well, he's jumped quite a bit before. I think he just wants to jump something!

VanillaBean 04-10-2012 09:03 PM

My mare does this sometime. If I bend/flex her to, over, and after the pole, she is listening to me and doesn't think about jumping it. Try that! Hope it helps.

tlkng1 04-11-2012 06:57 PM

Mine is the same way...even at a trot he wants to jump. I just sit back and do a couple of half halts prior to the first pole a few times. After a few tries he settles. Two poles three strides away..he still gets quick and will sort of hop over the second pole and land in a canter...two or three in a row at proper distance gets him pretty forward as well..we are working on it.

Talk to your horse, do a little half halt, turn away from the pole occasionally so the horse doesn't anticipate, or, as already indicated, just wait him out. :)

I find after a while a horse won't want to expend any more energy than they absolutely have to.

howrsegirl123 04-11-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 1449872)
I find after a while a horse won't want to expend any more energy than they absolutely have to.

That's true!

DejaVu 04-13-2012 04:58 PM

Subbing to this.
My gelding is a machine at trotting them, but when it comes to lope overs, forget it. Kills us in trail classes.

I guess he still links himself to our old hunter days sometimes!