The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   need awnsers quick. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/need-awnsers-quick-118881/)

shandasue 04-05-2012 02:06 PM

need awnsers quick.

Im standing in my feild worried sick. my horse is loosing her hair, shes not shedding, it is down to the skin in multiple places. my dad started getting some really cheap feed so is it possible shes missing something in her diet?, is there a supplement i could get her? i need to do somthing asap before my dad notices how bad it is and makes me sell her because "we cant offored a horse with health problems". at first i thought my other mare (buckshot) was biting her but she has a new "bite" and its deffinately not a bite, it happend yesterday i gess bc it wasnt there the day before. i dont know how to explain it and i know you cant tell me much without seeing it. she has bare places on her neck, shoulders, and flank. Her hair is thin on her back also but you wouldnt know it unless ya look close. i wish i could attach a picture but im on my phone and dont know how to. Oh and i need to do as much as possible for it before i call the vet because if i can fix it on my own thats less money for my dad to complain about. I have had horses for seven years, you would think he'd be use to it by now.
And please dont rag on me for not calling the vet, thats not why i posted, if i wanted to hear what a bad horse owner i am i would ask for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 04-05-2012 02:07 PM

call the vet, a phone call is free, you dont have to spend any money just to ask their advice.

farmpony84 04-05-2012 02:14 PM

could be a number of things from a fungus to an allergy. I doubt we can help diagnose over the internet but maybe pix would help?

wetrain17 04-05-2012 02:15 PM

It could be a lot of things. Stress, fungus, hypothalamus, hypophysis and/or pituitary gland issues. I agree, just call and see what a vet thinks.

CLaPorte432 04-05-2012 02:15 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Honestly, that's how a few horses I know/own are shedding this year. My friends mare looks like she's balding all over her body. Along the spine, legs, shoulders etc. But you can see new hairs starting to come in. I'm wondering if it had something to do with our odd weather this spring. It was in the 90's here a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if the horses are trying to "shed all at once" as opposed to more evenly like it's been in the past.

I wouldn't be too concerned unless the hair isn't growing back. Especially if she's up to date on everything else.

LetAGrlShowU 04-05-2012 02:22 PM

just for reassurance, there have been multiple threads lately about horses loosing their hair in patches as they shed. It goes down to their bare skin ans then slowly grows hair back. Are you sure thats not what is happening here?

CLaPorte432 04-05-2012 02:24 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU (Post 1440050)
just for reassurance, there have been multiple threads lately about horses loosing their hair in patches as they shed. It goes down to their bare skin ans then slowly grows hair back. Are you sure thats not what is happening here?

That's what's happening here. I blame the weather. LoL

Speed Racer 04-05-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU (Post 1440050)

Yeah, my old guy's doing the same thing. He looks like he's molting! :-P

smrobs 04-05-2012 02:31 PM

I agree with others. So long as the skin underneath looks healthy, then I would just watch it and give it time. If the summer coat doesn't start growing in here in a few days, then I might start to be a bit concerned, but if she's just shedding in clumps, that's happening a lot this year.

LetAGrlShowU 04-05-2012 02:41 PM

My horses are doing it too, thats why I asked. I came here to post a worried post too, and then read someone elses and realized its happening a lot this year.