The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Don't ya just love making the cashiers at WalMart wonder (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/dont-ya-just-love-making-cashiers-118897/)

Ink 04-05-2012 04:35 PM

Don't ya just love making the cashiers at WalMart wonder

On my way into town for the horse show a couple weeks ago my friend asked me to stop by the store to pick up some WD-40 for a snap that had gotten stuck and a bag of ice for the cooler. I got up to the check-out with my stuff. The girl at the counter stared at me for a second and finally asked if I was going to do some kind of experiment. :lol:

The best one though, happened several years ago when a friend and I were putting together a foaling kit for a 4-H project. Most of the things we needed we already had laying around the house, but we were missing a couple of items. So we went to Wal-Mart and walked up to the cashier with nothing but some KY jelly and an enema. As she was ringing us up she said "I don't even want to know what you two are up to" We just grinned as we paid her and walked off, giggling uncontrollably. We honestly hadn't thought how bad that looked before she said something.

Now, I know I'm not the only one to get some strange looks when buying horse related items. Share your stories of when your purchases might have given people the wrong idea.

VanillaBean 04-05-2012 04:47 PM

Haha those are awesome. I don't have any, though... :(

equiniphile 04-05-2012 04:52 PM

At least you didn't bring the horse with you. Ours have been all over town....heck, last week we went to the furniture store after my lesson (dressed in breeches, a polo, and tall boots....), trailer in tow, and loaded our furniture in the back of the truck. Quite the crowd gathered to watch the horse crew load. I've also walked in to WalMart (also in breeches) with an empty water bucket to buy ice for the horse's water on the trip.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-05-2012 04:56 PM

That's great Ink! No funny cashier stories but did make a quick run once and didn't bother to shed the barn gear. Checking out I hear this little boy behind me in line whisper to his mom "What's those pokey things on her shoes mom?" She told him that he wasn't being polite. I told her not to worry about it and explained my spurs and then a million more questions about horses.

DraftyAiresMum 04-05-2012 05:04 PM

I've gone to work in my riding clothes before. Leggings, riding boots and half chaps. Got some funny looks from customers. The regulars just say "Oh! You were riding before work?" lol

I'm surprised the cashier even really paid attention to what you were buying or cared. I work at a thrift store and I always have people telling me what they're going to do with the random crap they're buying. I try to appear polite and interested, but frankly, I could care less what they do with the stuff they buy. And heck, it's Walmart. I'm sure people have bought weirder combinations of stuff.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-05-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1440288)
And heck, it's Walmart. I'm sure people have bought weirder combinations of stuff.

No doubt. The people of Walmart pictures should say it all :lol:

DieselPony 04-05-2012 05:06 PM

I haven't gotten too many odd looks. Just mostly when I go in to get just polysporin and athletes foot cream for thrust treatment. But one time I'm sure my barn get up didn't help the situation though.

I was with three of my guy friends and we stopped at a convenience store. I wasn't paying attention to them, wandering around looking for food starving after riding all day. I walk to the cashier while they were all paying for their stuff and got the weirdest, dirtiest look from the man ever as I left with them.

3 guys, 1 girl. Each guy bought an energy drink and one guy decided to buy a pack of 3 condoms.
Even better when the guy was working again the next day when I went in with my boyfriend. I can take a pretty good guess what he thought of me haha.

FlyGap 04-05-2012 05:38 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Well, I have a WM story but it's what I DID to the cashier not what I bought, actually they gave me my oil change for free!

I had eaten lunch out with a girlfriend and then we headed over to WM to get my oil changed. Checked in, felt fine, shopped for a bit, started feeling ill...
Heard my name called and barely made my way to the counter. I know I was turning green but the guy behind the counter KEPT talking about my old VW Cabriolet, yadda yadda, story this, needed that... too long, way too long, couldn't get AWAY!
Well, I lost it. Completely projectile vomited ACROSS the auto center checkout. Missed the guy by inches. The look on his face was sheer shock and dismay!!
So we stood there for what seemed like hours staring at the situation, he didn't move.
I reached out to him and said... Which is now infamous in our circle of friends...
"Can ya hand me a F***** towel or something!"
I was ushered out to the parking lot and handed my keys.

wetrain17 04-05-2012 05:45 PM

diapers, duct tape, petroleum jelly (4 containers of it btw, horse had a drain in her stifle from a hematoma), cortizone, and desitin. Yes, the cashier gave me strange looks, but I pretended not to notice them.

Missy May 04-05-2012 07:01 PM

I have thought about it when I have purchased the large size of KY jelly, which I also tend to get with pure mineral oil. I don't need the gallon size, so I get the smaller mineral oil sizes at a mega mart - which are large size by human standards. I don't want to discuss "why and what for" I am getting these items w a cashier. So, I walk around until I see a female cashier, and join "that line" - for some reason that seems "better".