The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Swollen eye... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/swollen-eye-118907/)

Wallaby 04-05-2012 06:43 PM

Swollen eye...

I went to go see Miss Lacey this morning and the first thing I notice is that her right eye (really, the area around her eye, eyelid etc, her eyeball looks normal) is crazy swollen.
She's holding it open about a centimeter but she closes it whenever possible. I did see her open it all the way (the eye itself looked fine) once.

I put in a call to the vet and they're coming out tomorrow if she's not better, however, I really want them to not have to come out!

Last year she scratched her eyeball and the vet came out and gave me a tube of medicine for it, too bad I've apparently stuck that tube somewhere "safe" and now I can't find it.

In any case, I'm really wondering if there's anything I can go out and buy today that'll encourage her eye to calm it's lil' patootie down without the vet coming out.
Would an ointment (one of those petroleum-based ones, maybe?) marketed for dry eyes possibly be helpful?

I did wash her eye, and the area around it, with warm water, I stuck a flymask on her to hopefully encourage her to not scratch it (she's been scratching it), and I gave her 1/4 of a bute tablet (I think one tablet is 1mg?) to hopefully lessen any pain it's giving her.
Hopefully that'll be enough.
She was holding her eye more open after I washed it, so I figure that's a good sign!

In any case, I just ordered some horse eye stuff off Amazon so she can go be a dork in the future and I'll have something on hand, and not in a "safe" spot. :lol:

My thought is that since her face is shedding like crazy, her face is therefore itchy and maybe she bonked her eye on the corner of something while itching.

Thank you! :)

natisha 04-05-2012 09:26 PM

A vet needs to check the eye. If you treat with the wrong stuff it can have detrimental consequences

equiniphile 04-05-2012 10:41 PM

I never mess with eye injuries; so much that can go wrong. Let us know what the vet says!

Wallaby 04-06-2012 12:05 AM

Well, she's definitely seeing the vet tomorrow. I went up there to check on her a few minutes ago and the swollen one was still swollen and the other eye was mildly swollen.

I'm not sure what's going on but the vet is definitely going to be here tomorrow as soon as they can come out.
I'd have them come out now but it's after dark, her field is sketchy to get to even in the daylight, and since it'd be the "emergency" service the trip fee alone is $85. :shock::shock:

The rest of her is fine, no weird swellings, and the eyes are both clear (I got her under a light and put a flashlight up to her eyes to be sure).

I really wish I could get them out now. :(

equiniphile 04-06-2012 12:07 AM

I know, trip fees kill me. Our backup vet lives literally 2 minutes away, and she charges us the same travel fee she does for clients that are 40 minutes away.

kiwi79 04-06-2012 12:08 AM

I've panicked over swollen eyes before and every time they were completely fine by the next day, never knew whether they had knocked it scratching or from an insect bite. See how it is tomorrow and if it hasnt gone down by morning then let the vet take a look.

Lockwood 04-06-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1440593)
A vet needs to check the eye. If you treat with the wrong stuff it can have detrimental consequences

I second that. There are two basic types of eye ointments..... ones with steroids and ones without.
It depends on the injury or situation as to which a vet will prescribe and sometimes thay have to do a fluorascein stain to see the extent of a scratch or injury.
If you have an extra tube and think... Oh I'll just use what the vet gave me last time.. and it's the wrong one for the wrong situation it can create an eye ulcer or make an injury worse.

If you happen to find the ointment hiding in it's safe place before the vet arrives tomorrow, take it with you and ask the vet which type it is and if you can reuse it in the future for mild irritations (a.k.a non-steroidal.)
Otherwise toss it out.

If you want to have some gentle eye ointment on hand, ask the vet which he/she thinks should be in the medicine box, then order that one.

FYI, gentle saline solution is always good to have and can be found at the local discount or drug store and is used with the stain mentioned above so is safe for whatever the situation is.
I have used Vetericyn products too and they are gentle and work really well. Spendy, but I order them online to save money keep them around in the medicine cabinet.

I hope her eyes are better tomorrow!

Wallaby 04-06-2012 03:12 PM

Thanks Lockwood! I did know about the steroid issue, I definitely would have checked for steroid based ingredients before putting it in her eye. :)

She has an appointment at 4, think good things for her! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

arrowsaway 04-06-2012 04:20 PM

do let us know how it goes... I hope lacey is back to her plucky, nonpuffy self soon!

Wallaby 04-06-2012 06:03 PM

Thanks arrowsaway! Me SO too.

I'm trying not to be too worried until I know what's going on from the vet but I'm nervous.
Lacey's Friday lesson kid came out today and we just washed Lacey's legs (mud fever) and gave Lacey some company (the lesson kid LOVES playing "vet"). But, while we were doing this, I noticed that Lacey's other eye is actually mildly swollen and she seems pretty out of it.
I imagine she probably doesn't feel great but she even laid down after I went into her field, before I went out to catch her, and no one was "on guard" (the llamas were on the other side of the field). She very rarely lays down during the day and it's even more rare for her to lay down when I'm anywhere near by. On the plus side, when me and the lesson kid went to catch her, she hopped up from her nap and went cantering across the field to the shed where we tack up which is her usual behavior.
I'm just worried she has an internal infection or something. She is eating normally so yay for that!

Thankfully my vet is really good and really reassuring so I trust that she'll figure out what's going on and fix it. And she tells me everything she's doing and why, none of that "silence, silence, silence, we're done!!" stuff. :lol: Lacey also adores her which is a bonus!

I'll definitely update with whatever the issue turns out to be. :)