The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Peanut's 2nd time barrel racing! =) (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/peanuts-2nd-time-barrel-racing-%3D-118908/)

Peanut97 04-05-2012 06:56 PM

Peanut's 2nd time barrel racing! =)

Next year I'm going to get a young barrel prospect, but for this summer I've been training Peanut and Sweetheart (My two 15 yr old Solid Paints) for Barrels just for fun and maybe for the county fair ;) Here's Peanut on her second day [the arena gates hadn't come yet so that's why we're in the open]

Video:
Check out our channel! =)

TimWhit91 04-05-2012 07:05 PM

her second time barrel racing, not bad. Would be better if you went slower though. Making a horse run around barrels isn't going to get you a fast time. There are a lot of things you need you need to put in the horse's foundation that will knock seconds off. Months of walking and trotting. Bending and flexing, leads, rates, letting the horse be calm in the arena so they don't learn to be all hot and crazy at the gate. There is a lot more to it than running around 3 barrels. For my horse's 2nd time he would not even be going around all three barrels. Might not even go around one.

Peanut97 04-05-2012 07:10 PM

I spent a long time the other day walking and trotting, I like your advice, but I'm just doing it for fun on Peanut this summer--I'm not going to do anything serious with it =)

QHriderKE 04-05-2012 07:23 PM

I would still be walking and trotting and doing drills at the trot. Even if it's for fun.

Saddlebag 04-05-2012 07:56 PM

Don't do the pattern each time but work on perfecting your technique at each barrel . If you always do the pattern she will begin to anticipate.

DraftyAiresMum 04-05-2012 08:23 PM

Just wanted to add that even though you're just training Peanut for fun, doing it right will get you in the habit for doing it right with the prospect you hope to train. Not only will you be helping Peanut enjoy barrel running more, but you'll also be getting yourself ready for that prospect so that the prospect gets done right.