The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   He's lame (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hes-lame-118917/)

Tasia 04-05-2012 08:04 PM

He's lame

My little Champers has been doing fantastic lately, I was looking so forward to the upcoming shows, however last night he turned up lame. No idea what it is, but it's pretty inconsistent, he will gallop over for his food, put make him walk on your time and he has a minor head bob and favors it. I am leaning towards sole bruise because when I pick up the opposite foot he's shakey on the other. NO heat whatsoever, and I was very careful. I went up to the vet today to see if I could get some bute, but she though I was acting to fast on it and wait until Monday before I take him up there or give him anything. Abcess is another possibility like last summer, or the vet suggested a rolled ankle.Cookies to those who read, just needed to rant about it.
Horses are so frustrating sometimes, I just want to ride.

PaintHorseMares 04-05-2012 08:49 PM

Good luck to you. Lameness is indeed the most frustrating thing about horses because there are so many causes..sure would be nice if they could just tell us what's wrong....or perhaps they try and we just don't understand.....;-)

Cherie 04-05-2012 10:10 PM

I would not give any Bute or other pain killer until I knew exactly what was wrong.

First, if you cover up the symptoms, you can hide the problem to the point that no one can figure out if there really is a problem or what it is.

Second, pain is your best friend to make a horse take it easier. Kill the pain and most horses will do more than they should so you end up with a much longer recovery.

Oftentimes you can go out very early in the morning and feel up and down both legs and feel both feet. One can feel a slight difference in the temperature of feet and joints very early in the morning when all legs and feet should be ice cold to the touch.

Tasia 04-05-2012 10:21 PM

Thank you, I will try that! Do you think it's strange my vets aid don't worry about it yet? I also have been told that if you tap the hoof with a hammer you can find the abscess?

Cherie 04-05-2012 10:35 PM

Sometimes you can. Hoof testers are better.

A hammer tap on each nail-head helps you find a 'hot nail' if a horse gets gimpy right after a new shoeing job.

I do not think it is odd to wait a few days. Most things will get better or worse. If they get worse, you probably have an abscess. If it is not an abscess, at least it will be easier to find.

I had about as good luck finding the problem by just checking the horse's legs and feet very early in the morning before the horse moves around very much.

Tasia 04-05-2012 11:01 PM

I'm going to do that in the morning, I have a really strong gut feeling that it's in the hoof, so I think I am going to soak it in Epsom salts in the morning, I might wrap it too...

Tasia 04-08-2012 07:40 PM

Update, been wrapping it and soaking. I am having a hel of time keeping wraps on, bothing works besides duct tape.He is improving, he just has a slight head bob and is bearing all his weight evenly. I think i am going to stop soaking because his sole is getting quite soft. ihave sort of been digging around.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-08-2012 08:10 PM

Bute is not a pain killer. Nor is Banamine or anything else which can be administered by a non-vet.

Bute serves to reduce inflammation, and as an effect of the reduced inflammation can reduce the pain, however it will not mask pain caused by the actual injury or bruise. That is a complete old wives tale and with most injuries it is important to get ice on it and bute in the horse to reduce any inflammation which may cause more damage than the initial injury itself. Were this a suspected suspensory or ligament injury a vet should immediately prescribe an anti-inflammatory, stall rest and icing or cold hosing.

However, because it is a suspected bruise buting probably wouldn't do much of anything anyways. Were it an abscess there would be heat up the leg, and stocking up or swelling in that leg. With a stone bruise generally soaking in epsom salts is what is prescribed. You might also try to find a hoof packing containing Capsaicin (Magic cushion is one) and wrap that under the foot to help topically reduce some inflammation.

Good luck!!

Tasia 04-08-2012 09:48 PM

Excuse, my last post, I was on my phone. The vet doesn't give out bute with out seeing the horse, which I understand.
I don't know If should just stop messing with it either.

Tasia 04-10-2012 11:34 PM

Hes been steadily getting better the last 2 days. This evening I moved him into a drier paddock and he started running around like an idiot, and he's lame again. He tore off his bandages too, I'm going to check him in the morning then call the vet. I just want to cry, my mother and father are going to start fighting about paying for it, because they fight about every penny. Maybe selling my soul will pay for it.