The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinking of changeing feed what do you think

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  caseymyhorserocks 
#1 ·
so im thinking on changeing berts feed to proform step 4, fiber max, and cob what do you think?

right now he is on one scoop fiber max am and pm, one cup of wheat bran and one cup of proform step 2 and one cup of cob for hay he gets three local at am feed one local at lunch and one grass/alfalfa mix and three local at pm feed

i have had him since december when he was still very skinny but he has now gained weight but i can still feel his ribs

#2 ·
You want to be able to feel the horses ribs easily but not see them. If you can't feel a horses ribs you are in serious trouble and the horse is at serious risk of a whole range of health issues.

I would not recommend COB- it stands for Corn, Oats, and Barely. All of those are VERY high in starch, which is a very un-healthy diet for horses. The high starch can cause colic, founders, ulcers, tying-up, hyperactivity, and diarrhea- just to name a few.

I have not fed Fiber max or proform, so no help with that.

#3 ·
when im talking about COB i only feed one measureing cup and i half it with am and pm feedings and i can feel his ribs i cant see his ribs if im not looking for them. I will take a picture tommoz and post it he still has his winter coat and i just got him in january i have never seen him with his summer coat.So im m not sure what he looks like under his winter fur.

#4 ·
When you said "he has now gained weight but I can still feel his ribs" I assumed you wanted to not feel his ribs.

Just because you are feeding very little of COB doesn't mean it isn't healthy for your horse.. Anything unhealthy for horses is going to be unhealthy no matter what. Of course the more you feed the worse it is- but a little amount is still not healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.