The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Im new to leasing and have questions! (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/im-new-leasing-have-questions-11897/)

girl_on_black_pony 07-19-2008 03:02 PM

Im new to leasing and have questions!

Hey, I know almost nothing about leasing. Could someone clue me in? I know its sorta like renting a horse, but do you get to take it home? How much does it usually cost? Do you get to compete/breed it? Thanks!

SonnyWimps 07-19-2008 03:39 PM

there are barn leases where you can take the horse to the barn you want (with permission from the owner of course)

For price, it really depends on the person leasing out. If I leased out my horse, I'd say half of all expenses..so that would be probably $175-$200 a month
But some stables require you to pay more...the one big show barn in my area charges $525 a month for a lease...which is also what they charge for board.
My current BO charges $150 for lease..but it's not leasing a horse...it's leasing time...so you can ride any horse for a given ammount of time.

You an compete it, but haven't heard of anyone allowing the horse to be bred

Solon 07-19-2008 03:50 PM

Arrangements for leasing a horse need to be very specific. Truthfully I've heard some really bad stories about leasing horses on both sides of the coin.

Get it official - not just something written down on notebook paper.

Each party needs to be aware of who is responsible for what. Boarding, feed, vet care, farrier care, emergency issues. Travelling with the horse, what to do in case of injury, illness, where the horse is kept.

I've heard of leased horses being used for basic trail riding to competing in rodeo and/or horse shows.

Breeding could be a part of that if the owner specified that but again, who gets the foal, the mare care and everything in betwee needs to be spelled out.

Cost depends on several factors. Make sure if you go this route, you spell every single item/detail out so that there are no surprises.

katiiii 08-18-2008 03:09 AM

I agree with what everyone above has said, but also there are different types of leasing, you can part lease which is noramally how you would lease from a barn or stables, and that means generally they stay at that barn and you just ride it, and they mostly take care of it but of course you pay for some of it too, and then there is free lease which means you dont actually pay for the horse per month or week or whatever, but you have all the repsonsibilies of it, like all care like vet , farrier , denist etc, its all at your expence, so its like having your own horse except the other people still own it.
Normally you can agist them where ever you want.

I guess it all depends on how much responsibility you want.