The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Am i forgetting anything in his ground training? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/am-i-forgetting-anything-his-ground-119047/)

gothicangel69 04-07-2012 08:12 AM

Am i forgetting anything in his ground training?

I have helped train many horses, however, this is the first one that I will be doing all my myself and I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.
We are doing ground work right now, and I think he's almost ready for me to get up on him, but again, want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.
He has good respect of personal space, backs very nicely, yields to the smallest amount of pressure, is getting very good with walk, trot, canter with voice commands (just has to learn to hold his canter, but he's getting much better), turns in about 60% of the time in the round pen, and is doing really good with his desensitising. We are also working on ground tieing, and he's comming along nicely with that as well (doesn't even need to be tied, and will stand still until told to move).
I plan to start doing all of the above with the saddle on today to start getting him used to working with one on. I will not be getting into the saddle until he holds his canter better and turns in 100% of the time when asked.
So, is there anything i am missing, or that you guys think I should add to his training before I jump on?? As this is the first one I'm doing all my myself, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

csimkunas6 04-07-2012 12:46 PM

I was feeling the same way a few months ago.....I ended up having a local trainer come out, and it helped me and my horse tremendously.

But, thats not always necessary, I felt completely stuck.

For you I would work on yielding the hindquarters, side-passing, and some surcingle work. Ground driving is great, and can even be fun to do. Set up some obstacle courses too, that helped me a lot. Set up barrels, poles, ground poles, little cross rails, tarps, bouncy balls, ect, ect.

It sounds like your doing a great job though!!