The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Hunter/Jumper Show Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/hunter-jumper-show-question-119062/)

sarahkgamble 04-07-2012 10:47 AM

Hunter/Jumper Show Question

My trainer has said that I should start showing Shamrock, so I've been looking into getting all of the required stuff for showing on a local hunter/jumper circuit. He is just starting jumping, so I would enter him in just flat, walk, trot, canter classes.

It's been YEARS since I showed last, seeing as the barn where I ride isn't a big show barn, so I have grown out of all of my old stuff and have completely forgotten what kind of girth, etc. I need.

I'm good with all of my attire, I know what I need. I also know that I need a white fleece saddle pad, but I completely forgot what kind of girth. Should I get leather or a fleece girth? It seems like when I used to show, my old trainer would have us use one type during one season and another during a different one. Maybe it was fleece in the summer, leather in the winter or vice versa? I don't know, can someone help?! Haha.

Live2Ride15 04-07-2012 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I was showing H/J I used a leather girth! Good Luck with your show! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D The pic is the girth I used :D

princecharming 04-07-2012 07:33 PM

in the hunter ring i have seen both, i personnaly would go for leather because they are more conservative and might be cooler then fleece, but for a small class, i dont think you will get marked down on it.

countercanter 04-08-2012 11:34 PM

From the mouth of George Morris: Leather is less distracting than a fleece lined one. Only use a fleece-lined one if your horse absolutely cannot go in a leather one (gets bad rubs or whatever).

I agree, fleece ones are distracting and can take away from the overall picture. I prefer leather girths. Mine has stretchy on both sides which I really like.

sarahkgamble 04-09-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countercanter (Post 1444555)
From the mouth of George Morris: Leather is less distracting than a fleece lined one. Only use a fleece-lined one if your horse absolutely cannot go in a leather one (gets bad rubs or whatever).

I agree, fleece ones are distracting and can take away from the overall picture. I prefer leather girths. Mine has stretchy on both sides which I really like.

I can see that, it certainly is less distracting. Thanks everyone!