The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Finding a driving trainer? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/finding-driving-trainer-119065/)

Eclipse295 04-07-2012 11:17 AM

Finding a driving trainer?

Okay, I have officially realized something.
I have no clue how to train a driving horse. I mean I know how to drive and can drive a started horse and take it from there and the general theory behind the training but can't actually figure it out. Thankfully my pony is a very forgiving 3 year old. So I am know just working in hand and starting her under saddle(that I can do)

How would I go about finding a driving trainer and/or does anybody know somebody who will train a driving horse in southern michigan? I really don't mind a drive. Just preferably within a couple hour drive from calhoun county.
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 04-07-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eclipse295 (Post 1442429)
Okay, I have officially realized something.
I have no clue how to train a driving horse. I mean I know how to drive and can drive a started horse and take it from there and the general theory behind the training but can't actually figure it out. Thankfully my pony is a very forgiving 3 year old. So I am know just working in hand and starting her under saddle(that I can do)

How would I go about finding a driving trainer and/or does anybody know somebody who will train a driving horse in southern michigan? I really don't mind a drive. Just preferably within a couple hour drive from calhoun county.
Posted via Mobile Device

Look for some driving clubs and ask for a referal. ADS has many drivers in Michigan. If you are looking into a certain style of driving you may want to contact a trainer for that breed. CDE's and carriage driving would also be specific if you are wanting to compete.

PluckyPony 04-09-2012 09:32 AM

Check out the Michigan Horse Drawn Vehicle Association - mhdva.htm
They may be able to help you find a trainer in your area.