The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   I want a ferret (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/i-want-ferret-119097/)

shandasue 04-07-2012 07:36 PM

I want a ferret

who else loves ferrits?
when i was 11 i saved money for a year to buy a marshall ferrit that was decented and all that. i loved the heck outa that little guy. his names was samual and he did not like to stay in his cage so my room was his cage. he used his litter box and his food set beside my dogs. i could leave my door open all day and he wouldnt come out...untill my mom was home alone, he would come out and chase her around the house and she was terrified of him. i was gone one weekend and my mom chased him into a tote thingy with a lid... she was nice enough to poke some wholes in it but put a big rock over them to "keep him in". it was the middle of summer and it was on the porch. i was really mad! he was such a good boy. i could take him outside and he'd follow me around and play with the dogs. im thinking about gettin another but ill never find one as great as samual:(
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 04-16-2012 12:58 AM

I am an animal lover by nature, but ferrets somehow creep me out. I am sure they are lovely little things, but I just have never even kind of wanted one around me. My daughter wanted one...I had to say, "no, absolutely not!". And, they do not smell nice. I mean, puppies smell wonderful, horses smell great, cats - not so much, rabbits seemingly have no real detectable odor, but ferrets...ugh.

themacpack 04-16-2012 01:20 PM

Are you still living with your parent(s)? If so, that is something to factor strongly into the decision (not only your mother's aversion, but also the fact that they should be consulted for permissio in all such additions to their home). Ferrets can be lovely pets, in the right setting and with the proper care.

ABlazingKiss 04-19-2012 12:20 PM

I would go for it! I love all animals and I always wanted a ferrit. I think they are so cute looking, and maybe with some training you can teach it to do similar things as your old ferrit. I trained my bird to fly into it's cage whenever it had to go to the bathroom.

PetoftheDay 04-23-2012 06:18 PM

If you still live your parents you should probably wait until you are on your own, after all, they can live for many years if well-taken-care-of, and you already know your mom is not a ferret friend at heart.

When you are ready, there are ferret rescue places out there that have fuzzbutts just waiting for new homes, let me know here you are located, and I can hook you up with one!

They can be fun pets for the right person!

shandasue 04-23-2012 06:29 PM

My parents dont care as long as i keep it away from mom, but i like to scare her with rodents:) ill have to wait till next year when i graduate, i have to much stuff going on now and im running for president of our FFA chapter. id love to get a rescue one as long as its young. Im just wondering how many people on here like them
Posted via Mobile Device

PetoftheDay 04-23-2012 06:35 PM

Love them, think they are funny and fun! I've never owned one, but friends have, and of course I always seek them out at shows!

MisssMarie 04-23-2012 06:56 PM

Illegal here in CA, so, I've never seen one...
Posted via Mobile Device

Gillian 04-23-2012 10:30 PM

Just a quick correction. Ferrets are not rodents. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

HighCountryPleasure 05-12-2012 07:20 PM

My Grandpa had one and they really smelled bad.
No offense or anything, but I do think they are so cute (: