The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What do you guys think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-do-you-guys-think-11910/)

FledgeOfNarnia 07-19-2008 08:59 PM

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think about Julie Goodnight's, Craig Cameron's, Chris Cox's, and Clinton Anderson's training techniques?

Are there other's that you would recommend?

loosie 07-19-2008 09:37 PM

Heard of Craig Cameron and know of Clinton Anderson but not the others.

Upon reading a number of CA's training articles, I think his principles & methods seem sound. I started looking him up because people on forums were telling me my advice often sounded like word-for-word CA :lol: I learned a lot from Pat Parelli when I was starting out with horses and still have respect for his teaching generally.

I've been assured by those who claim to know that my suspicion of Clinton Anderson as a Parelli copy(even uses the same made up terms) is not correct. Apparently they learned from some of the same people, so coincidentally came up with the same methods. However, I think CA's Australian & learned his 'craft' here, whereas Parelli's American, with predominantly American teachers(??)

mlkarel2010 07-19-2008 11:03 PM

Julie Goodnight, I've heard of her, but not familiar with her techniques

Craig Cameron... I just REALLY don't like him for some reason

Chris Cox--I like him and agree with what I've seen him do, but I don't know about everything he does

Clinton Anderson--I respect him greatly and use a lot of his training methods... however, some I just don't agree with, but most of it I do

3neighs 07-20-2008 12:01 AM

I've not heard of Julie Goodnight and know very little about Chris Cox or Craig Cameron, but I have seen Clinton Anderson in person and in fact, will be going to one of his tours next weekend. I use a lot of his techniques on my horses, but I don't agree with everything he does.

The one thing I that turns me off about most of these trainers is how they only seem interested in pushing their products on you. I received free tickets to his tour and am going purely for the entertainment and hopefully to see him ride bridleless.

ArticMyst 07-20-2008 12:50 AM

Julie Goodnight- I like her as far as what I have seen. I went to her website, but there really isn't much info there.

Craig Cameron- Annoys me to no end!! He comes to our fair every year and usually hes hung over. So instead of getting on and riding/ teaching, He says oh well there aren't enough people here I'll just answer questions.

Chris Cox- I like a lot of what he does, but there are some things that I don't agree with.

and Clinton Anderson- Same for him I like a lot of his methods and Some not so much.

I just tend to take a little bit from each trainer that I like and then leave what I don't on the shelf.

kitten_Val 07-21-2008 12:55 PM

I use some methods of CA, but not all (some are too harsh). Not sure about others - didn't find hem extremely helpful...

My2Geldings 07-21-2008 05:59 PM

Don't waste your money on any of the above. What they teach is basic horse handling you will learn on your own by simply spending time with you horse.
If you have that kind of money to waste then go for it, especially if you find it works for you. I once tried some of the training offered but the above horse folks. I was very disappointed after realizing it was all stuff I already was doing with my horses.

iridehorses 07-21-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Don't waste your money on any of the above. What they teach is basic horse handling you will learn on your own by simply spending time with you horse..

My2geldings! That really surprises me coming from you. With no previous knowledge of horsemanship, trying to learn on your own is like trying to reinvent the wheel.

Anyway, all the above trainers, and others like John Lyons, Mary Twelve Ponies, and Monte Robers, just to name a few more, have something to teach you but how it applies to you depends on what you are trying to accomplish. All the trainers in the world can't help you if you don't understand how a horse's mind works and how to read his body language. All you will get from them is a mechanical understanding but not the root of their teaching.

My2geldings is right in that you need to understand your horse and that comes from time and experience watching them and how they interact with each other and their human partners.

You most certainly should read all those clinicians but I found that understanding them takes time. After a lifetime around horses I get a kick out of something that I reread and the little lightbulb in my brain clicks on.

Arrow 07-21-2008 09:32 PM

I'm old school and a bit leery of all the roundpenning. I've seen some Clinton Anderson on t.v. and like some of it. As for Julie Goodnight, I loved her Leadline Leadership dvd--it helped me tremendously. And I only had to buy one dvd, not a raft of them, meaining I could skip all the roundpenning and other NH stuff that I'm not very interested in. Julie Goodnight's website is fantastic--good articles, but what's really great is a big long section of FAQs or questions answered. There's a wealth of good, practical info. there. Here's a link: http://www.juliegoodnight.com/q&a.php

Solon 07-21-2008 09:37 PM

The best way to look at is, what did people do before DVD and videos?

Most of us grew up without those and still turned out beautiful horses. So I agree with My2Geldings completely.

Get out there and spend time with your horse. Hook up with a live, in person trainer. Leave the DVD's and videos for fun viewing but don't base your entire riding/training experiences on them.