The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Wraps or boots (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/wraps-boots-119115/)

Mary Liz 04-07-2012 10:56 PM

Wraps or boots

:wave: I always use polo wraps while working my horse, Laddy, so he will not scar his legs since he has a lot of action and has shoes on his front two feet. I'm aware that there are other types of boots and wraps out there. Is there any kind of wrap or boot that you prefer to ride in or always ride in?http://www.nationalsaddlery.com/imag...lo%20wraps.jpg

HorsesAreMyPassion 04-07-2012 11:40 PM

I usually like to use polo wraps or fleece lined dressage sport boots for flatwork, open front tendon boots and fetlock boots for jumping and Woof Wear brushing boots for cross country or hacking out. One of my horses also wears bell boots on his front feet.

princecharming 04-09-2012 08:57 AM

for me and my pony its simple galloping/brushing boots on front feet. I use WOOF boots, they are great!

i rarely polo wrap because im paranoid ill do it wrong and it will screw up my horses tendons.

those look like a nice wrapping job you have there(:

Jumper12 04-09-2012 09:51 AM

if im just practicing at home i usually use brushing boots on front polos on back for a gallop or jumping, if im just flatting i use nothing and for xc jumping or jumping at a show i use woof boots.

VanillaBean 04-09-2012 02:28 PM

I ALWAYS use some sort of wrap/boot when working any horse of mine. If I'm flatting, I use simple polos, and if I am jumping I use splints (Toklat for the pony, Weaver for the TB) When I lunge, sometimes I even use bell boots just in case (my horses are all barefoot) they kick themselves or something.

cuttinmom 04-09-2012 03:46 PM

I use RES equine polo wraps sport boots and splint boots. Fantastic products! you can replace the velcro on them when it wears out. great price too.ReBoot - Home

MyLittleHunter 04-09-2012 08:30 PM

I'm terrified of messing up polo wraps and hurting my horses so I just stick to my splint boots. Works great for Dallas, and they're easier for me to put on. I've had my splint boots for 6 years and they're still in great condition. And of course I got them in black, because any light color would be brown within one use. lol.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-09-2012 09:00 PM

Upon reading recent studies suggesting that heat build up in legs caused by booting and bandaging is causing long term, detrimental effects to the structures of the legs, I am very careful about what I put on my horse's legs in an effort to keep them cool during exercise.

I use Eskadron Climatex liners with thin, fleece polos on the legs of my horse, with no turn boots in front and bell boots behind for schooling. I have also recently purchased EcoGold splint boots which claim to have high airflow and engineered fabrics which do not keep heat by the legs to use at shows. I try to avoid neoprene and any heat-trapping fabrics at all costs now :)

Mary Liz 04-10-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1446195)
Upon reading recent studies suggesting that heat build up in legs caused by booting and bandaging is causing long term, detrimental effects to the structures of the legs, I am very careful about what I put on my horse's legs in an effort to keep them cool during exercise.

I use Eskadron Climatex liners with thin, fleece polos on the legs of my horse, with no turn boots in front and bell boots behind for schooling. I have also recently purchased EcoGold splint boots which claim to have high airflow and engineered fabrics which do not keep heat by the legs to use at shows. I try to avoid neoprene and any heat-trapping fabrics at all costs now :)

I had not heard that thanks I will remember that in the future. :)

Mary Liz 04-10-2012 12:28 AM

I learned how to do my wraps from my trainer who has done them for years but how does a wrongly wrapped polo wrap mess up a horse's leg?