The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Knee Pain when in the saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/knee-pain-when-saddle-119146/)

phoenix 04-08-2012 09:56 AM

Knee Pain when in the saddle
 
I've noticed the past few times i've gone out on trail that if i'm in the saddle for any more than an hour my knees really hurt.

It was very bad yesterday, i was riding a friends horse and using her tack and everything. My friend has very short legs so uses kiddie stirrups rigged somehow on her saddle, my knees were so scrunched up because we couldn't change out the stirrups. I tried during the ride to stretch my legs out but by the end i couldn't feel my poor feet.

That pain was due to her short stirrups but i even get it when i ride my own horse. I ride in a dressage saddle because it fits my horse and is comfortable to sit on, but my knees and ankles end up hurting; i don't have my stirrups short, but then again my legs aren't totally straight either.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Any tips? i was thinking of trying some knee braces to see if that would make a difference. It gets so bad that i have to ask the rest of the ride if we can keep t at a walk because trotting is unbearable.

themacpack 04-08-2012 10:17 AM

Try taking your feet out of the stirrups every 20 minutes or so and let them just hang for a few minutes. You can even bend your legs and re-extend them a few times to move your knee joint around. My knees kill me if I don't move them for anything more than half an hour, regardless of if I am in the saddle or sitting at my desk, in a car, etc and this has really helped.

phoenix 04-08-2012 10:26 AM

Yeah, i did do that on occasion and would have done it more but we were with a fairly spooky horse and i didn't want to be unprepared in case my friends horse had a meltdown.

doubleopi 04-08-2012 10:27 AM

Ah yes, the "Gypsy Knees", only happy when they're moving. :lol:
I, too, have to remove my feet from the stirrups regularly if I don't want to be crippled. Knee braces help a *tiny* bit but the only truly effective way to avoid pain for me is to ride without strirrups. Then I won't hurt in my knees or ankles!
I suppose dosing up on aspirin or ibuprofen or some other anti-inflammatory or pain reliever would help to but I've never bothered to try it. I seem to prefer to complain about it. :?

phoenix 04-08-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleopi (Post 1443484)
Ah yes, the "Gypsy Knees", only happy when they're moving. :lol:
I, too, have to remove my feet from the stirrups regularly if I don't want to be crippled. Knee braces help a *tiny* bit but the only truly effective way to avoid pain for me is to ride without strirrups. Then I won't hurt in my knees or ankles!
I suppose dosing up on aspirin or ibuprofen or some other anti-inflammatory or pain reliever would help to but I've never bothered to try it. I seem to prefer to complain about it. :?

I felt like that's all i did yesterday,complain about my knees! Okay, i'll just have to master riding with no stirrups, hard when i have a horse that periodically bucks like a fiend. Pain killers it is then!

Cacowgirl 04-08-2012 10:39 AM

Another help might be wrapping w/an Ace bandage or using a pull-on knee brace-just don't use anything too tight.

Darrin 04-08-2012 02:36 PM

My knees hurt anytime my stirrup is even an inch short. For me, that means my stirrups are let out full length so there is almost no bend in my knee, when I stand in the stirrups my butt is only an inch out of the saddle. If I were you I would try lengthening your stirrups past where you currently have them until you reach a point where your knees no longer hurt. It might not be a "proper" length but if your knees don't hurt who cares?

phoenix 04-08-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 1443488)
Another help might be wrapping w/an Ace bandage or using a pull-on knee brace-just don't use anything too tight.

I have one of the pull on ones and worse it last time i took my horse out. However, my horse was so badly behaved during the ride that my legs were shaking so much by the time we got back i couldn't tell if my knee hurt or not :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin (Post 1443728)
My knees hurt anytime my stirrup is even an inch short. For me, that means my stirrups are let out full length so there is almost no bend in my knee, when I stand in the stirrups my butt is only an inch out of the saddle. If I were you I would try lengthening your stirrups past where you currently have them until you reach a point where your knees no longer hurt. It might not be a "proper" length but if your knees don't hurt who cares?

Yes, that might be my problem. Yesterday the stirrups were definitely too short and my friend is going to let me punch new holes in her leathers to the length i need so when i ride her horse i'll be comfortable. I could add a few more holes to my leathers too and see if help on my saddle.

kiwigirl 04-08-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin (Post 1443728)
My knees hurt anytime my stirrup is even an inch short. For me, that means my stirrups are let out full length so there is almost no bend in my knee, when I stand in the stirrups my butt is only an inch out of the saddle. If I were you I would try lengthening your stirrups past where you currently have them until you reach a point where your knees no longer hurt. It might not be a "proper" length but if your knees don't hurt who cares?

Yep, I'm the same, I ride with very long stirrups because I have the same problem. If I try to go any shorter than I have now I am in pain within an hour of riding.

PS Longer stirrups make it easier to mount too:lol:

Celeste 04-08-2012 07:45 PM

If my stirrups are too long, my lower back hurts.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0