The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What To Do With A New Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-do-new-horse-119185/)

ernie5567 04-08-2012 06:13 PM

What To Do With A New Horse?

I'm starting to ride a new horse, Spinner. I normally ride with an instuctor but she's on vacation and told me to get this horse from the paddock, bond, and ride him... by myself.:? I've ridden by myself before on a different horse but i want to know somethings to do with this horse to see what he knows. I plan to ride bareback. I've seen him around and he comes to the gate when i get my horse but i don't really know him. Any tips? I think i'll lunge him and see how his ground matters are.

Thaks in advance!!:D

princecharming 04-08-2012 06:17 PM

i think if you trust your instructor, you should go grab the horse, walk it around, groom him then tack him up(i personally would not get on a horse i didnt know bareback if i was nervous)... then if i was still not feeling 100% i would lunge it for maybe 10 minutes, then i would take a deep breath and put that foot in the stirrup and RIDE.

if you dont trust your trainer, i wouldnt touch the horse.

ernie5567 04-08-2012 06:25 PM

I trust my trainer 100% and the horse seems super sweet. One reason i would go bareback is cause he's kinda small and the saddle i use is way to big. I've pet him before and fed him but just never ridden him. I might use this bareback pad with a strong strap that i can hold on to just in case.

Skyseternalangel 04-08-2012 06:28 PM

Agreed... also I'd bring a friend or family member that has at least some experience with horses, with you. Better safe than sorry. But groundwork and lunging and then hop on to cool off for the first few times.

I wouldn't do bareback honestly, but that's just me.

princecharming 04-08-2012 06:47 PM

are there any other saddle available to you/you can borrow? just for the first time...you dont know how this horse will react to bareback, how green it is, for all you know it could have a VERYYY bouncy trot, which could set you guys up on the wrong foot(LOL) but good luck and although you might be sore, i hope it goes well for you if you try with no saddle.

ernie5567 04-08-2012 07:16 PM

well it's not just some random horse. I mean my instructor has ridden it and so has her non- horsey husband. :) i'm going to see if there are any smaller saddles,but i don't think there are. i plan to lunge him and possibly do a join-up. you do have a good point about the trot i was thinking i might just walk until i have someone to come out and help/watch me on him.

mnl764 04-08-2012 07:26 PM

I hate to sound like a broken record but even a big saddle is better than no saddle, especially for a first ride

Nevreme 04-09-2012 08:41 PM

Have you seen anyone else ride him?

I have ridden alone on strange horses a couple times, but I had seen others take lessons on them before I got on. I also nearly rode a pony for the first time bareback and without an instructor (there were some other kids going bareback with me), but ended up watching the vet treat colic instead. It was more interesting and I've ridden bareback tons, so xD

ernie5567 04-10-2012 12:17 AM

I rode him!!!! He was soooo fantastically amazing!!!!!! My instructor is leaving tomorrow appearantly so she was there today. We found a saddle that fit and tacked him up. we went to the round pen to do some work and he is great at free lunging. He threw a few mini bucking tantrums ( then again he hasn't been ridden in a year) but when he got tired he did as told when told to de so, then i got on and he still did great!! no bucking. He has an amazingly soft mouth and is super responsive to leg aids.I'm going to see if i can get out there tomorrow and ride him! Sooo exited :D

Country Woman 04-10-2012 01:14 AM

that is awesome to hear
good luck with him