The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   It could have been a camping disaster (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/could-have-been-camping-disaster-119194/)

tbrantley 04-08-2012 07:47 PM

It could have been a camping disaster

I went camping this week taking my horse G-Man. This is the first time that I have had him camping. This was part of a large organized ride. There were about 250 riders. There were a lot of new experiences for my horse to endure. I want to say very proudly, he did well. I was concerned that he may not be ready for all the excitement so we went a day earlier than most of the other riders to get him use to the trails and camping. That helped because he handled in all in stride.
Now for the almost disaster:
I had him stalled up the first night. The second night one of my friendís horses got injured and they had her on a tether line. She couldnít put any weight on her leg so I told them they could use my stall that I had my horse in. There werenít any more stalls left to rent.
This was the first time my horse has been tethered over night. I was nervous about it and made sure that I had put lead rope through a swivel line that would be easy to break if he got into any trouble. I was very cautious to make sure his line was at a height that would keep him safe. I had my husband to check everything before we went to bed and I woke up a couple of times during the night to check on him. I woke up around 4:30 am and looked out of the window and he was lying down. I had his line fixed so he wouldnít be able to lie down. I jumped up grabbed my coat and a flashlight and slipped on boots as I went to check on him.
I have camped a lot and have had my horses to get themselves in a lot of different situations but I wasnít prepared for this. My horseís legs were over his head and neck with his halter and lead rope caught which was cutting off his air. I could hear him struggling for air. I yelled for my husband as I tried to undo the emergency line I thought I had him in. It was too tight; I tried to take the halter off again to tight. My husband comes running out and he tries to help me. The horse is starting to give up and we couldnít tell if he was breathing. My husband said to run to get a knife, I took off for a knife, scared that the horse would be dead before I could get back with the knife since I am not able to run due to a leg injury.
One of the guys in the group heard me yelling for my husband came out to see if he could help. He had a knife on him (thank you god). He was able to cut the lead rope. After he cut the lead rope we could hear the horse take a deep breath. It took a few seconds to get him up. He was shacking all over. I had to rub him down a little bit to help get the circulation going again and to calm him down. I walked him around a few minutes and then decided that I was going to put him in the horse trailer for the rest of the morning until it was time to get up. My friend and my husband said if I hadnít went out when I did that he wouldnít have been a live. He was already giving up and he wasnít getting enough air. I am so thankful that something woke me up when it did and I got on up and checked on him.
I found out later that someone had undone my horse to show him off to some friends and when they retied him they did not tie him up right. They felt terrible about the situation, I was trying not to be upset but I was pretty mad. I was thinking that they had no right to undo my horse , they could have the people to go to him or wait to the next morning. It all most cost me my horse that I have grown very attached too. I still shake at the thought of what coul have happen. I am thinking that if I ever have the problem of not having a stall that my horse would be safer staying in the horse trailer over night. I donít ever want to tether my horses over night again. :-(

OuttatheBlue 04-08-2012 08:00 PM

Wow what a scary story!! I'm glad it turned out alright, but I would have been mad at that person too.

What a close call, be sure to give your horse an extra hug for me that must have been terrifying!

usandpets 04-08-2012 08:00 PM

Wow! Glad to hear everything turned out ok.

Some people just lack common sense or the respect of others property. They should have waited until morning and at least come and talk to you first.

I don't know if I would ever tie a horse up overnight. We always set up a corral with hot wire for our horses when we go camping. It uses the battery from the truck to charge the fence.
Posted via Mobile Device

outnabout 04-08-2012 08:18 PM

So glad your horse is OK, I was on the edge of my seat reading the story! I would be furious at the people who untied your horse. Even if nothing had happened. What nerve some people have, and how disrespectful they were of you to do anything with your horse without permission.
Thanks for reminding me why I stay away from big group trail rides!

tbrantley 04-08-2012 08:42 PM

I still can't believe it happen. I can understand why you don't like to ride in large groups Outnabout. I still can't believe the nerve of some people. On the ride we heard about a person who's horse got spooked and they fell off their horse and broke their wrist, cracked their ribs and punctured their lungs. I am always concern about people getting hurt on any rides but it often seems that on larger rides more people get to drinking and it seems like more accidents seem to happen. This was a ride to raise money for Easter Seals it is really for a good cause.

I just wish people would use their common sense and be careful around horses. After this happen to me others were sharing stories of things that happen to other people and their horses. They were not as lucky as I was.

I gave my horse an extra hug and made sure he was put safely in his stall for the night with plenty of bedding, water and hay. He whinning when he seen his stall and was glad to be home. So, was I.

palominolover 04-08-2012 08:45 PM

Wow. That must have been an absolutely terrifying experience. Glad your horse made it out alive. I would be SO mad at the people who untied him.

tbrantley 04-08-2012 09:01 PM

It was a terrifying experience, I still shutter to think if I didn't wake up when I did and checked on him. I am also thankful to the person who got up to see if he could help when he did. He said he could tell by my voice something was wrong. Especially since I am the one that is usually the calm one. lol

I think my horse and I have even a stronger bond. I also have made a new friend with the guy that helped us, I told him he was a hero in my eyes. Also, I have going to make sure that I include a sharp pocket knife as part of my horse tack.

I keep thanking god because I know he played a major role in the outcome of this camping trip.

Country Woman 04-08-2012 09:59 PM

I am thankful your horse is going to be ok
and that you are ok too

OuttatheBlue 04-08-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrantley (Post 1444283)
I keep thanking god because I know he played a major role in the outcome of this camping trip.

Too true. It seems like everything that should have ended very very badly didn't. You and your horse had a guardian angel that night :)

Joe4d 04-08-2012 10:19 PM

guess you handled it well, I'm not violent haven been in fights in 20 years, but that person would have gotten knocked the heck out,