The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Conditioning ? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/conditioning-119199/)

KGolden 04-08-2012 09:36 PM

Conditioning ?

Any tips on conditioning ?
I'm working with a 15 year old APHA mare who could use some more muscle . She's kept on pasture with hay 24/7 and a scoop of grain 2x a day .
I ride her at least 2x a week (Once school is over this should increase) and we do a lot of hour+ trail rides .

Any tips/ideas would be amazing !
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 04-08-2012 09:40 PM

Long trotting is always good :) especially on hills.

waresbear 04-08-2012 09:40 PM

Trotting up hills is one of the best conditioning exercises for you & the horse.

KGolden 04-08-2012 10:54 PM

Ok thanks ! We have a ton of hills so I'll work on it !
Posted via Mobile Device

cowboy bowhunter 04-09-2012 02:07 PM

As others have said long trot. But your not going to get your horse that conditioned only twice a week riding. I like to work them at least 4 days, and they still arnt is the best shape they could be if i work them everyday.

KGolden 04-09-2012 02:16 PM

She's ridden more than twice a week, as she belongs to the barn I ride at and she's a great trail/kid horse . I'm just the one who rides her the most and am planning on buying her . Once school ends I plan on riding her at least 4 or 5 times a week . I just want to get her conditioned for showing and all around health . We won't be hardcore showing, just 5 or 6 open shows .
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 04-09-2012 02:18 PM

Changing up what you do is also good for conditioning. Work different muscle groups.

Once in shape - horses do not lose the condition the way their human counterpart does.

KGolden 04-09-2012 02:31 PM

We do new things a lot . When we're not doing trails we're doing barrel work, reining patterns (no sliding stops and very minimum spinning) and sometimes English flat work and very low jumps . Hopefully we'll start doing team sorting as well . We've never done anything intense except trails .
Posted via Mobile Device