The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-119226/)

Wanona 04-08-2012 11:36 PM

Help!

I am going to have my hands full when I move from British Columbia to Saskatchewan this summer. My fiance over the last 4 years has purchased 3 horses. Mary who is a thoroughbred clydesdale cross, green broke and approximately 15. Boh is 20 and a well broken quarter horse. LD a possible clydesdale percheron cross, not sure, green and approximately 8 or 9. Boh was acquired February 2011. I went out to visit. I took each horse to the round pen individually and groomed them and lunged them. Except LD of course who is very difficult and charged me three times. I took Boh for a ride.......tried to. They are so herd bound it took me half an hour to go approximately 3/4 of a mile. He fought me every step of the way. They are all in the same pasture along with the cattle. Any advice on what to do to?

tinyliny 04-08-2012 11:56 PM

Not any real advice for you, thought there are threads here on how to deal with herd bound horses. But just to say that it'll take awhile to adjust to the new place (is it new to the horses, too?) and not to assume that becasue it didnt' go well this time that it won't get better. STep by step, it can be improved.
Not to assume the worst right away.

QHriderKE 04-09-2012 12:00 AM

This is off topic... but what part of Sask. are you moving to?

Wanona 04-09-2012 03:50 PM

I checked out a few threads on herd bound horses. The ones I read seemed to apply mostly to younger horses, but I will read some more of them. Thank you for the encouragement!

I am moving to a farm about 15 miles from Assiniboia, SW Saskatchewan. Sure isn't much for trail riding there, not like B.C. In fact I have been told from seeding to harvest it will be pretty much ditches and roads.

QHriderKE 04-09-2012 05:49 PM

Cool! I'm by Leader, SK if you know where that is :D
Fields before seeding and after harvest are great to ride in, btw! Just watch for badger holes and you're fine. Ditches are okay too, but watch for beer bottles!
The most fun is going to community pasture round ups in the fall and brandings in Spring, I think if you like trail riding, you should ask around about community pasture roundups in fall :D