The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English stirrup leathers - size?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-stirrup-leathers-size-119252/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-09-2012 08:27 AM

English stirrup leathers - size??

Looking for some nice quality English stirrup leathers, dark Havana brown, any suggestions for some under $100 that won't break the bank but are still nice quality? :wink:

Also...what size should I get? The pair I have, I've had forever and don't remember what size they are...guess I could measure them, but they're a bit too long anyway so I definitely need shorter ones now that I'm riding Hunters with a shorter stirrup!

For reference, I'm only 5'2". Not sure if 48" would be TOO small, or just right for me? Anyone else about my height who knows what theirs measure?

Saddlebag 04-09-2012 09:35 AM

Someone makes them with webbing sandwiched between two pieces of leather. They are a little thicker. Keep in mind, if a stirrup leather breaks most riders take a hard tumble.

mildot 04-09-2012 10:11 AM

I would think 48 would be fine for someone your height.

I'm 7 inches taller and I have 60" leathers on my AP saddle. They are quite frankly too long as they are one hole away from their shortest setting when I run the up for cross country riding.

I probably should have 54s.

aeosborne2002 04-09-2012 11:33 AM

I'm 5'3" and have 48" leathers and they work fine for me. With the way I have them set, there's still several holes I could lengthen if needed.

Speed Racer 04-09-2012 11:35 AM

48" leathers are considered children's leathers. I have 54" leathers, and I'm 5'1". I'd rather have too much length than not enough. :wink:

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-09-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1445125)
48" leathers are considered children's leathers. I have 54" leathers, and I'm 5'1". I'd rather have too much length than not enough. :wink:

How many holes do you still have open if you want to go shorter, and how short do you ride with your stirrups? On my current pair (which I need to measure to see what length they actually are), I had to punch 2 extra holes on either side and use the shortest one for jumping and sometimes even THAT seems too long!

Speed Racer 04-09-2012 12:03 PM

I still have 2 holes open, and I definitely don't ride with a straight leg. I need some bend, so I can get up out of the saddle when necessary. I've never had to punch more holes in my leathers. If I did, I'd definitely go with shorter leathers.

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-09-2012 12:06 PM

Yeah when I got my last saddle it was an AP and my current leathers worked fine...now that I'm jumping higher and more correctly I have gotten a CC saddle and have had to punch holes in the current leathers to get them short enough...which is why I am looking for new leathers now! ;-)

Speed Racer 04-09-2012 12:07 PM

I say if 48" leathers work for you, then get 'em. Nobody will know they're 'children' leathers. :wink:

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-09-2012 12:12 PM

lol well, wouldn't be the first time they thought I was a kid at a show anyway! I went to a show once and they thought I was a 15 year old, I guess they couldn't see my face very well under my helmet and the fact that I'm 5'2" 120 lbs doesn't help LOL