The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Use of Devil's Claw (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/use-devils-claw-119271/)

Saddlebag 04-09-2012 11:28 AM

Use of Devil's Claw

Has anyone tried this instead of bute? Apparently it has anti-inflammatory properties and is supposed to be easier on the horse.

mls 04-09-2012 11:31 AM

It can still cause ulcers.

farmpony84 04-09-2012 11:53 AM

It's not legal in the show world so if you are showing then cross that one off your list...

I did use a long term pain killer that was bought at a local tack shop for my old horse... Not sure what it was... B-L something er other... but I didn't worry about the ingredients because he didn't show... It was supposed to be gentle on the tummys but with him, at 38, ulcers weren't a real concern for me...

Lockwood 04-09-2012 12:08 PM

mls is right, it can still cause ulcers, but I beleive when I researched it, the occurance was less than traditional aspirin/bute type products.

I currently use the BL pellets on my rescue donkey because she won't eat the powdered herb form, but we used the herb form on my mom's horse for several years when he had some serious health issues. He did not have any stomach problems with it at all and the straight form is stronger than BL pellets, but much much less expensive than say, InflamaSaver, LaminaSaver or other commercially prepared applications that are available.

It is easy to find on herb websites in the straight form, and there are some good herb books for horses available for dosage. Because my experiences with it have been good, I'm more likely to reach for it before bute for any long term use.

Saddlebag 04-10-2012 12:27 PM

Horse is on two grams day divided into two doses, plus Ranitidine at both. Horse is doing so much better, move freely, pain look has left his eyes. I plan to call the vet today to see how long this regimen can continue. Full dose is 4 grams per day but he responded very well to two.