The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique my Quarter Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-my-quarter-horse-119314/)

goodolesunny 04-09-2012 04:09 PM

Critique my Quarter Horse

3 Attachment(s)
My daughter wants to show her in a halter class this year not sure if her conformation is good enough, please give me feed back

DraftyAiresMum 04-09-2012 04:19 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Quite honestly, I don't see this mare doing well in halter classes. *Maybe* at 4H level, but that's a steep maybe.

I'll start from the top down...

She's got a bit of a hammerhead and her throatlatch is coarse. I don't like the way her neck ties in; it looks like it's set on rather high, especially for a quarter horse. She looks a wee bit pigeon breasted. Her back is a bit long and she's butt high. She's got a rather steep croup, especially for a QH. I do like the depth of her heart girth, though.

She's a wee bit over at the knee and tied in behind the knee. I do like the slope and length of her pasterns though. Her hocks are set nice and low and I like the angles of her hind legs, however her gaskin looks kinda long to me.

How old is she?

stevenson 04-09-2012 04:29 PM

perhaps you could do showmanship instead of halter. I dont think your mare would place well in halter.

goodolesunny 04-09-2012 04:31 PM

she is ten and 4 h is what she is showing in she likes the competition classes, barrels and poles etc but she was going to do something diffrent this year.

DraftyAiresMum 04-09-2012 04:35 PM

Wow, that butt high and ten? My three-year-old isn't even that butt high (right now lol). O.o

I agree with stevenson. She could do well in showmanship, but I doubt she'd even place in halter.

goodolesunny 04-09-2012 04:39 PM

Thanks a bunch...we love her big butt...its sexy!!

DraftyAiresMum 04-09-2012 04:42 PM

Give me a big ol' drafty butt any day! I want a bumper sticker with my Aires' butt in silhouette that says "Drafty butts drive me nuts!"

She does have a nice butt, though...for a quarter horse. ;-)

(I tease, by the way)

JustAwesome 04-19-2012 04:27 AM

She isn't a halter horse, I agree maybe try showmanship?
in all honesty at the end of the day is comes down to the judge and what he/she is looking for but for me personally, she is not a halter type :)

Thyme 04-19-2012 12:31 PM

I like your mare, as said she is butt high but I love her head/face!

Lovely color too
<3

Roberto 04-19-2012 06:15 PM

As everyone else has suggested, I would go ahead and show her in Showmanship. Even thougth your daughters mare has some conformational faults, I would go ahead and train her and show her is Halter.

She's going to need to know how to set-up and to do it quickly. Also be able to get her ears forward when asked (Judge is doing a final look before walking away).

My mare does not do well in halter, unless it is a man judging or a woman judge who does eventing, then they like my horse. She's an Appendix and is very thoroughbreddy, also has been described as very feminine(?). She is not the stock type. I asked a quarterhorse judge (who she herself won numerous world titles) and was putting on a clinic. I asked her about not showing her in halter and just doing the Showmanship. And she told me to do the halter classes because it preps them mentally - think of it as a warm-up to showmanship and not to worry about how I place.