The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Just saying hello - new/returning rider (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/just-saying-hello-new-returning-rider-119327/)

SilverPanda 04-09-2012 06:33 PM

Just saying hello - new/returning rider

Hello! I've been looking for a good forum to learn from and it looks like you guys may be right up my ally. I just wanted to introduce myself...I rode when I was younger, always lesson horses and as I grew up I got out of riding but always missed it.

This year I said to heck with that, I'm going to ride again, so I found an instructor in the area and I'm back to riding twice a week (1 day lessons, the other day is helping my instruction work out lesson horses). There was a 12+ year lull, but I seemed to have picked up the walk and trot/posting trot fairly easily...we're still working on being comfortable with the canter, but it's coming along (6 lessons in).

I rode english and did some very mild jumping back in the day but I'm not exactly sure where I want to go with riding quite yet. Right now my trainer has me in a reining saddle, but regardless I'm just really enjoying having my butt in a saddle and working on the basics again.

To make this more interactive, what is one thing you wish someone would have told you when you were first starting out that would be good for newbies, like myself, to know? (either about riding or about horses in general)

:wave:
Theresa

MyLittleHunter 04-09-2012 08:11 PM

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on returning to riding!

You never really forget how to ride it seems to be getting in shape again that most people struggle with. lol. I never stopped riding but I'm coming off a 2 year break of not being really competitive, and I was sure surprised at my lack of stamina when I returned to 6 days a week of riding. I was 4 when I first started riding... But before I got my first horse(age 10) I wish someone had told me that your trainer shouldn't make you feel like a total idiot. Got stuck in a bad situation for awhile because I didn't realize anything was wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your lessons go!

waresbear 04-09-2012 08:21 PM

Welcome to the forum!

DressageDreamer 04-09-2012 08:25 PM

Welcome!! I think the best advice my instructor gave me was to work on my core strength. I also had a long lull between riding and my core strength was gone from working mainly at a desk. Yoga and Pilates are great!!! Good luck :)