The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Someone accidentally bred my friends horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/someone-accidentally-bred-my-friends-horse-119331/)

1997magic 04-09-2012 06:19 PM

Someone accidentally bred my friends horse

My friend doesn't have an account, so she asked me to ask this.

She has her horse boarded at a barn next to a mare that looks almost exactly like the horse next to her. She had just moved her horse in. The owner of the barn has hired this guy to breed his horses for a long time, and he came to breed horses, and accidentally took out her horse instead of the horse he was supposed to breed. What should she do about it? Should she get an abortion, or keep the foal, or something else?

Any help is great.

equiniphile 04-09-2012 06:21 PM

I don't know what you could do to the breeder, who should have been much more diligent before he pulled a horse out of a stall and bred her, but I would try to have him cover the cost of the abortion.

themacpack 04-09-2012 06:21 PM

Lute.....no hesitation

themacpack 04-09-2012 06:22 PM

I would also be moving to a barn with better practices......this "accident" is suspect to say the least

alexischristina 04-09-2012 06:22 PM

... That is... I have no idea how to respond to this post. How does that even happen? Didn't they have somebody who knows the horses go with them? Aren't the stalls marked? What sort of idiot takes and breeds the wrong horse.
Whatever your friend does she should not pay for ANY of it. If she does not want the foal, she should have whoever made the mistake pay for the shot, if she is not going to get an abortion the person who made the mistake should pay for all vet care and other costs associated with the foal.

equiniphile 04-09-2012 06:25 PM

Has the mare been confirmed prego?

1997magic 04-09-2012 06:28 PM

Not yet, but she is still concerned. She likes foals a lot, but doesn't think she could pay for training, or any of that other stuff. She is going to probably take the horse to another place though. I don't really know all the details on how it happened, I just put down what she told me.

Ripper 04-09-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1997magic (Post 1445983)
My friend doesn't have an account, so she asked me to ask this.

She has her horse boarded at a barn next to a mare that looks almost exactly like the horse next to her. She had just moved her horse in. The owner of the barn has hired this guy to breed his horses for a long time, and he came to breed horses, and accidentally took out her horse instead of the horse he was supposed to breed. What should she do about it? Should she get an abortion, or keep the foal, or something else?

Any help is great.

Juat a simple little shot will bring her back into heat.

Speed Racer 04-09-2012 09:39 PM

Have the vet Lute the mare. Your friend isn't prepared financially to care for a pregnant mare and the resulting foal.

I do think the idiot responsible should pay for the vet visit and Lute, but you can't expect monetary recompense for anything else.

Rascaholic 04-10-2012 09:45 AM

Speed Racer has the right idea. I'd also tell my friend NOT to move the mare until she is confirmed in foal or given the shot. They'll try to pass it off as having happened somewhere else, by someone else, etc.

ETA:
I'd also explain to the friend (using the net and proof) how much time, money, and effort go into the cute little foal. People would be suprised if they kept track of every dime spent on preggers and babies.