The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Drunk Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/drunk-horse-119347/)

puppluuv 04-09-2012 08:22 PM

Drunk Horse?

OK here is a strange question... My horse will not walk in a straight line when on a wide path, why??? We have now begun jokingly saying he is drunk. He is fine when walking trails, but if we are on a road or access path he swerves right and left. If I try to correct him he just keeps veering off. He has no particular side that he likes better, just will not walk straight. Any suggestions on why or what to do to fix the problem???:lol:

Lockwood 04-09-2012 08:35 PM

Ok, I am no help here what-so-ever, but I have to share...

A few years ago the remnents of a hurricane blew through in late September and blew all the over ripe apples off the tree into the alpaca pastures. One particular alpaca ate waaaay too many during the night and was falling down drunk as a skunk the next morning.

I suspected that, but called the vet anyway in case there was indeed an injury or something neurological going on.
It took four full days for it to wear off and he staggered around the whole time. I can look back on it and laugh now, but it was very serious then, on top of having no electricity for 8 days. :shock:

puppluuv 04-10-2012 09:00 PM

I would have liked to have seen that! Guess he had too much apple wine!

CLaPorte432 04-10-2012 09:03 PM

One of my geldings does the same thing. While he's trail riding, he can NOT walk a straight line. He's too busy looking here, and looking there. He's rather lazy and kind of A.D.D. so we just deal with it. LoL. He's not spooky or anything, he's a good boy.

Palomine 04-10-2012 09:11 PM

Generally a horse does this because rider is not focused enough, so horse is just meandering. I guarantee you if food bucket was at other end, there would be a straight line walked.

Focus more, and make horse listen to your cues/aids.

puppluuv 04-11-2012 06:55 PM

Thanks guys. Jordan is a lazy fat boy too. I will keep working with him. Its not really a problem, just kinda looks funny.

Ian McDonald 04-12-2012 02:45 AM

Get drunk yourself, then you won't notice the veering. ;-)

Skyseternalangel 04-12-2012 03:35 AM

Also, OP.. balance comes into play. If you aren't balanced atop your horse, and your shifting weight or accidentally pressing a leg into your horse, they're going to not be straight.

cowboy bowhunter 04-12-2012 01:14 PM

When the horse is doing that put him to work make him think of you. And then start again. If he does it again put him to work, untill he walks straight.
Something to think about where are you feet. Are you putting one foot into him to make him move then you want to go back and put the other foot into him and so on.

texasgal 04-12-2012 01:17 PM

Is your horse an Arab?? lol I only say this because mine does that too .... until we're headed BACK to the barn!