The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   muscle and conf critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/muscle-conf-critique-119357/)

farmpony84 04-09-2012 09:53 PM

muscle and conf critique

7 Attachment(s)
Ri is a 6 year old AQHA gelding. Up until this year we were very heavy on the forehand but this year we've made great strides into the right direction. We are heading towards consistant but not there yet. Hoping to get there soon. I did my best on these pix but he's not a very helpful pony!

I had just finished riding so he's a little sweaty. I forgot to take a front view shot so I just threw one in there but it's from last summer and he's grown some I think.

I also want to know if our muscle is building in the right places... as in... are we using our butt!

Thanks in advance.

farmpony84 04-09-2012 10:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These two pix were taken sometime last summer if that helps to judge any muscle development...

CLaPorte432 04-09-2012 10:54 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I think his butt has definitely improved. He looks much more muscled and toned then last summer. Even his neck looks better in my opinion.

He looks great! Keep making him use that hiney!

farmpony84 04-10-2012 11:47 AM

Thanks! I need to do some riding critiques but I don't think we are ready yet. I think we have too many things that I already know are wrong so it would be overwhelming to get a critique at this point.

I feel like he is changing in body shape, like suddenly he has withers and maybe his front is starting to match his neck? That's sort of why I posted, wanted to see if it was possible to tell if we are using ourselves correctly by the way the muscle is building.

I wonder if he's too fat?

CLaPorte432 04-10-2012 12:20 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I personally think he looks great at the weight he is. Some people might want him to be leaner but i prefer a horse like him over a skinnier horse any day of the week.

(you should see mine in the summer... :shock: he'd look aneroxic standing next to mine. Lol)

Elana 04-10-2012 04:20 PM

This is a really nice horse. NICE long hip, well placed hocks and knees, and a lovely balanced look with a very sweet and sharp head (I rarely note a horse's head unless it is porrly connected to the neck). May be a little tied inbehind the knee. Shoulder angle at the point of shoulder is a bit closed so he will do OK over fences but is not a jumper.

There is no conformation reason for this horse to NOT round his back and work off his hindquarters. VERY nice seal bay.

farmpony84 04-10-2012 04:26 PM

Thanks Elana. What does tied inbehind the knee mean? Confirmation is one of my weakest points in knowledge.