The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Need to feed as little grain as possible to a performance pony...suggestions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/need-feed-little-grain-possible-performance-119389/)

myponyismywings 04-09-2012 11:48 PM

Need to feed as little grain as possible to a performance pony...suggestions?

I have a 14.1 qh/tb/arab pony mare that I compete in pony jumpers with. However, I am feeding her 8lbs a day of Strategy... and I don't like for her to have to eat that much grain.
She is turned out 24/7 in a small-ish field(short grass) and has 24/7 access to ok quality hay (barn feeds this hay; I can't change it., even though I REALLY want better quality hay)
...What feed should I get to feed her less???

Thanks! :D

CLaPorte432 04-09-2012 11:50 PM

How is her weight right now? Is she underweight? Overweight? Just right?

If your having problems keeping weight on her, maybe cut back on the grain and use beet pulp?

myponyismywings 04-09-2012 11:52 PM

She is in alright weight right now, a little underweight for my taste.

CLaPorte432 04-09-2012 11:57 PM

I would try to cut back on the grain, and add soak beet pulp into her diet. And I'd recommend a Omega-3 fatty acid supplement to her diet. That will help with skin/coat issues and get a really good shine for the show ring.

Obviously, the best thing to do is get a better quality hay into her diet, or better pasture, but I completely understand how that is probably impossible unless you move her someplace else.

Is she on a regular deworming schedule and her teeth are in good shape?

MangoRoX87 04-10-2012 12:00 AM

I'd switch off of strategy...just personal taste, I don't like it...
I REALLY like Safe Choice as a feed. My horses hooves are darker and stronger, coats sleeker and putting on weight out the wazoo! And I don't have to feed as much.
Posted via Mobile Device

myponyismywings 04-10-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1446677)
I would try to cut back on the grain, and add soak beet pulp into her diet. And I'd recommend a Omega-3 fatty acid supplement to her diet. That will help with skin/coat issues and get a really good shine for the show ring.

Obviously, the best thing to do is get a better quality hay into her diet, or better pasture, but I completely understand how that is probably impossible unless you move her someplace else.

Is she on a regular deworming schedule and her teeth are in good shape?

That's ironic, because the other month I finally weaned her off 4lbs of soaked beet pulp/day! (I feed that in winter b/c it makes me feel better when she has a hot mash!!)

She was on Stablized rice bran this winter, which was wonderful, but the feed stores suddenly stopped carrying it. ):

As for the hay; I really wish they would get better hay. The owner doesnt (or so I assume) like to pay a lot for the hay, as they feed it to their goats as well.

Her teeth are good, and she is on a rotaional de-worming schedule currently.

myponyismywings 04-10-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1446685)
I'd switch off of strategy...just personal taste, I don't like it...
I REALLY like Safe Choice as a feed. My horses hooves are darker and stronger, coats sleeker and putting on weight out the wazoo! And I don't have to feed as much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, I had her on that when she was a filly... I just find it doesnt do the job I need a feed to do now. I need more of a performance horse feed, with high fat/protien content.

CLaPorte432 04-10-2012 12:11 AM

LoL, Funny.

How old is she? I put my 13 year old gelding on LifeDesign Senior and he's doing very well on it. It has beet pulp, rice, bran, omega 3's, and 14% protein, 6% fat. Biotin and prebiotics/probiotics for better absorption and digestion.

Life Design Senior Horse Feed by Nutrena

I really like it because I don't have to mix so many things together and he's still gaining weight on it. He's become a hard keeper, sad to say...And I only give 4 pounds a day.

myponyismywings 04-10-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1446702)
LoL, Funny.

How old is she? I put my 13 year old gelding on LifeDesign Senior and he's doing very well on it. It has beet pulp, rice, bran, omega 3's, and 14% protein, 6% fat. Biotin and prebiotics/probiotics for better absorption and digestion.

Life Design Senior Horse Feed by Nutrena

I really like it because I don't have to mix so many things together and he's still gaining weight on it. He's become a hard keeper, sad to say...And I only give 4 pounds a day.

She just turned 6 in March(:
Lol, would it be appropriate to feed a senior feed to her ? xD
There is a mule at my barn who is 5 but is on Purina Senior something... Apparently recommended by his vet!

I would LOVE to only feed four pounds a day!! You are lucky! Haha.

CLaPorte432 04-10-2012 12:38 AM

What's "appropriate" completely depends on the horse. I've known lots of OTTB's that have been fed senior feed and most of them at under 4 years old. There isn't anything in a senior feed that will hurt her. If you read some of the reviews, there are all types of horses that are on that feed and lots of different ages.

I am lucky. But we also feed 2nd cutting alfalfa hay and I LOVE my hay supplier. It's gorgeous! He also doesn't get worked all that much so that helps because he's not really burning the calories that your horse probably does.