The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Possibly going to loan a horse ... (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/possibly-going-loan-horse-11944/)

claireauriga 07-21-2008 04:20 PM

Possibly going to loan a horse ...

As many of you know by now, I'm new to riding, and what I really need is practice, practice practice. One or two lessons a week isn't really enough for me and I'm looking for more opportunities to ride.

Yesterday I was once again helping my friend Charlie groom her horse Luca, and we discussed the possibilities of loaning a horse. I thought it would be very expensive and you'd have to commit to several months at once.

A horse on working livery costs 29/week plus farrier bills, worming etc. If the horse is on working livery, then they are used in lessons and so on. Not a good option if you're a good rider wanting a good horse to work on specific things with, but if you're a total beginner like me it's not a problem. This is affordable for me and even if I continue to have one or two lessons a week, it's good value for money in comparison to private lessons.

I would be taking one of the stables' regular school horses on loan. I don't know how often I'd get to ride them (obviously they'll be used in lessons and all) but I plan to investigate that thoroughly. I'd love it if I'd be able to get Charlie Brown, the horse I'm riding in my lessons, but I didn't see his name on the noticeboard yesterday. Still, I can ask!

To be able to take a horse on loan, you need to be able to tack up, lead, and ride safely at walk trot and canter in the arena. I'm not sure what the other requirements are. The horse is fully taken care of by the stables - I don't have to manage his feeding regimene or muck him out, and he gets exercised when I'm not available. I'm not at that stage yet (though I helped Charlie tack up Luca and she showed me how to lead correctly and all, so I'm learning all that stuff :)) but I may be before the end of the summer. I go back to university at the very very end of September.

What I'm going to do is talk to my regular instructor about when I'd be ready to loan a horse and what it would involve. My lesson tomorrow (first in nearly three weeks!) isn't with her, but oh well. The worst she can say is that it won't be for quite a while and I'll have to wait until the Christmas or Easter holidays. However, if I'm lucky and work really hard and manage to squeeze in lots of lessons, I may be able to have a few weeks at the end of August/start of September with a horse on loan!

If I can, this'll be a great opportunity for me, and also a test run to see if I will want to loan a horse next summer.

mlkarel2010 07-21-2008 04:23 PM

That sounds like a good idea! Hopefully it works out for you!

claireauriga 07-21-2008 04:27 PM

My parents aren't too keen on the idea (my dad doesn't want me wasting my money on something 'frivolous' - he says 'frivolous with inverted commas', he knows I do really enjoy riding) but I'm slowly talking them into it. For starters, it's lots cheaper than they thought. Three weeks would cost less than 100 - though I would have to pay for petrol to go up to the yard every day too xD Also, it's not a long commitment, which I also think they were concerned about, and I'm selling this idea as a 'taster' for further loans.

Ultimately, I'm paying for my riding myself so it's my decision, and they know I'm going to research it a lot more before I go ahead with it - if I can go ahead with it. But by talking to them about the idea I'm persuading them to look more kindly on it.

mlkarel2010 07-21-2008 04:30 PM

I think it's a REALLY good idea. I think that because it's not a long term commitment that it would be better than just leasing a horse. Hopefully you can get them convinced. Even though if it's your money they don't have the ultimate say.

Lol, horses may be frivolous, but then so are fancy cars :wink:

claireauriga 07-21-2008 04:35 PM

My dad is teaching me to drive more efficiently. My mum just swapped her pseudo-sports car for a hatchback xD My dad's indulgences are the occasional bit of climbing gear (via ferrata tails last time), or a new camera.

I really like the fact that it doesn't have to be a long term commitment and I can try it for just a couple of weeks. I was beginning to think it wouldn't be possible, but having talked to Charlie I'm really fired up about the idea and can't wait to see Alex (my instructor) and talk to her about it.

PoptartShop 07-21-2008 07:02 PM

I think that's a good idea, leasing is very good!! :D