The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Help with an eventing prospect purchase (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/help-eventing-prospect-purchase-119443/)

MicKey73 04-10-2012 12:10 PM

Help with an eventing prospect purchase

8 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone! Looking for some input regarding these two horses I am looking at for lower to moderate level eventing and an all-around horse. Please tell me what you see as far as conformation pros and cons as well as what you think about their movement. They are both very different from each other in almost every way, but I really liked both after having ridden them. I did not put either over fences, just w/t/c to get a feel.

1. 2008 16'3" TB gelding unraced, 6 months of dressage training and some trails. He is very calm and takes a heavy contact in the bridle. Attached are some photos I took and some links to his sale videos. There are a bunch on YouTube, as well as one of him going through water.

Attachment 94147

Attachment 94148

Attachment 94149

2. 2007 16'2" TB mare off track 1/12, been in training with a CANTER trainer since. Has shown over crossrails. She is spirited but not flighty and has been introduced to cross country obstacles. She takes a VERY light seat and contact. She is very fine boned and narrow in the front, do you think it would be an issue? More videos on YouTube also.

Attachment 94158

Attachment 94159

Attachment 94161

Attachment 94163

TimberRidgeRanch 04-10-2012 01:16 PM

I dont know very much about eventing BUT do feel that the horse on top is more ideal then the OTTB A horse with narrow chest is one that doesnt have lung capacity as much as one with broader chest. Plus I like the top horses feet alot better. Great angle in the shoulder from what I can see. I just feel the top horse is a better canidate for eventing. JMO
TRR

MicKey73 04-10-2012 01:30 PM

Thank you so much for the reply TRR! I'm concerned about her narrow chest too, although she is listed as a winner on the TB race records. I want to get as much input as possible, from everyone. So c'mon peeps...whatcha think??

Elana 04-10-2012 03:14 PM

First horse is far superior to the second horse. First horse is a better mover, nicer bone and hs nice low knees and hocks.

Second horse has bench knees, stiff mover with a short neck and a hollow back as a result of a short body over excessively long legs.

MicKey73 04-10-2012 07:13 PM

Bump for the evening crowd?

~*~anebel~*~ 04-10-2012 08:36 PM

How about for the dressage crowd?? Lol :)

I like the mare considerably more than the gelding although she will require a lot more retraining. In the conformation pictures the gelding is upright in the pasterns and has a straight hindleg, where as the mare has better hindlimb conformation, IMO. Chest width has been proven to have nothing to do with lung capacity, plus with more conditioning and filling out it may widen with muscle. I also like the overall balance of her better than the gelding, she appears to be well balanced over all four corners.

In the riding videos their differences in personality and life experiences become apparent. The mare is quite a bit more tense and high strung while the gelding is content to plunk around on the forehand complying with whatever his bouncy rider wants him to do. The gelding would be suitable for an AA looking to by something to learn to train, where as the mare would be more of a project. However I think her movement, while tense, is better than the gelding if only that she is more active in the hocks and is not dumping onto the forehand. Plus she looks very keen to be jumping which is a plus in an eventer.

Pending a clean vet check, and if you think you are experienced enough to be taking her on I think she would be the one of the two to progress higher and be more successful as an eventer. I would also get some body work done on her as the track does put a number on their bodies. Race horses are generally the one kind of horse I advocate for a good chiropractor to look at.

Good luck!

ETA - This is totally just my opinion though!! They are two different personality types and it is important to pick the one which you think will be most suitable for you and having your trainer present will help you pick the more suitable horse for you. IMO just looking for the better eventer, I like the mare, but the gelding may be more compatible for you.

MicKey73 04-10-2012 09:36 PM

Thank you Anebel, your opinion on movement means a lot. Did you happen to watch the video of her over crossrails in her first show? It was about a month after the link I posted and I can see some improvement just in that month. What I like about her is that she seems sensible and not stressed about the jumps.

As for the rest of you lurkers....come onnnnnnn... please help me! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

MicKey73 04-11-2012 07:53 PM

bump..

Cinder 04-11-2012 10:45 PM

I'm not an expert on conformation but here's what I see:

The first appears to have upright pasterns and also may be a little cow-hocked.

The second, as you said, appears to be a little light-boned, but I like her legs better than the first horse's. However I like the first horses butt and neck better than hers, though I suppose they could improve with conditioning. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I like the second horse's movement better.

May I ask why you are looking at a horse that needs heavy contact and then another that needs light contact? I'm just curious.

Honestly I think both could work out well enough but the second seems to have more potential to me, I like the way she goes over the jumps, she seems to like them well enough. Choose whichever you like best and feel suits your personality and style.

DraftyAiresMum 04-11-2012 10:52 PM

Am I the only one seeing that the first horse is pretty badly sickle hocked?! Cow hocked, not really (toed out slightly, yes, which is ideal, but not cow hocked...cow hocked is MUCH more dramatic, with the hocks literally almost touching each other). Sickle hocked...yikes!