The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Conditioning (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/conditioning-119476/)

jillybean19 04-10-2012 04:27 PM

Conditioning

What do you do for conditioning?

Snickers and I shoot for 20-25 miles each week. We do a lot of medium trotting and slow cantering. I'm no expert at this, but he's doing well and his heart rate isn't high (about 90bpm immediately after working, but back down to 60 bpm within ten minutes). We go for two longer rides, one of which includes small hills at a ATV park (other than that it's pretty flat around here), and one short one, with plenty of rest in between. We're only conditioning for an LD, hopefully at the end of May, and my vet recommended to condition faster than we plan to ride. He's the vet that does the vet checks at most of our rides around here :)

phantomhorse13 04-10-2012 09:21 PM

Right now, I am trying to ride twice a week, with rides being 15ish miles each ride. I have finally found some trails with actual hills, so will be focusing on as much hillwork as possible between now and the end of the month (next ride is No Frills, VA April 28).

kait18 04-10-2012 09:27 PM

phantom where did you find hilly trails??

phantomhorse13 04-10-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1448175)
phantom where did you find hilly trails??

Round Valley Recreation Area, which is over near Horseman's Outlet. Rode there for the first time Friday and fell in love with the place!!

Are you going to be at Foxcatcher this weekend?

kait18 04-10-2012 10:42 PM

i will have to see how far that is from me, we need some hills we are just working on the flats now.

i won't be doing foxcatcher...looked up that drive and there is no way i am ready to haul a horse that far and through such high congested areas. still working on my hauling skills :) i am meeting with some jersey riders and we are doing a practice ride with timings to kinda give me a good picture of how things will work during an event.

make sure you get pictures and video clips for the event though i want to see everything :)

Cowgirl140ty 04-10-2012 11:05 PM

The barn where i board has 1500 acres of trails to ride. I probably put in about, 40-50 miles a week. On flat and hills. The hills are a great way to keep my cattle horses in shape.
Posted via Mobile Device

DebSmith 04-11-2012 02:07 PM

We started out a few weeks ago just walking, walking and working through the spooky stuff. The cornfield I ride in is 1/4 mile once around. We have slowly worked up to trotting once all the way around - a slow trot. then walking 1/2 way around then trotting once all the way around again, etc. I work alot on keeping Falcon's attention on me and not looking for every single thing to spook at. I also am working on being able to rate him at the trot. He wants to speed up and then spook, so we work on trotting until he wants to take off and I make him walk or stop then start again. The last ride on Saturday was wonderful and I actually got him to canter slowly a 1/4 way around on a pretty loose rein. I'm taking my time and doing it slow. I also work him alot on the ground around spooky things and trusting me when I say it's ok to go past.

crimsonsky 04-11-2012 02:37 PM

this is a fantastic thread. i really had/have no idea how to start off on such an "adventure" in endurance. can't wait to see all the responses to this - the ones so far are fantastic!

traildancer 04-11-2012 03:15 PM

I have access all winter to some steep hilly property so my horse keeps some condition. If I decide to enter the Pacific Crest, I will probably just ride him more often over the same trails we've done all winter. And push him faster. But I rode over there Sunday for four hours and he was raring to go and even after galloping a bit, his recovery was quick. So I guess all I would be doing is maintenance between now and then.

phantomhorse13 04-11-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1448320)
i won't be doing foxcatcher...

make sure you get pictures and video clips for the event though i want to see everything :)

I am going to be riding a friend's mare in her first 50 at foxcatcher, so not sure how much pic taking I will be able to do on a strange horse. But if its possible, you know I will! :lol:

where in jersey are you meeting people to do your mock ride?