The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mare infection! I need help asap!Update: Mare is fine! baby too. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mare-infection-i-need-help-asap-119525/)

cowgirl928 04-10-2012 10:19 PM

Mare infection! I need help asap!Update: Mare is fine! baby too.
 
K so my mare just had her baby on Friday. I wasn't there for the birth. Well, I was checking both mama and baby and I am 98% sure mama has an infection because she didn't expel all of her placenta. Vet clinic is closed, and I can't afford to call him over. We have oxytocin in the fridge at the stable for emergencies, however it is frozen. I will be giving it to her tomorrow morning, but I need help and info first.

1. How many cc's should I give her? I'm guessing she weighs about 850-100 lbs
2. What size needle should I use?
3. Should I give it in her butt or neck? Or neither? Does it matter?
4. What should I be looking for?

Please help because I am freaking out. My dad sold my pickup from under me so it takes a while to arrange transport to the vet. Using the oxytocin is my first option, and if it doesn't work I will take her to the vet. But I don't know much about it, or the whole birth thing in general. Please help because I have no clue what to do. I work at a hospital, so I know what an infection looks and smells like, also there are two other people at the stable who looked at her and do agree that she is starting to get an infection. Hunny takes shots well, so I am not worried about that, I'm just worried about what to look for. How do I know if she got it out? Thanks help is appreciated a lot :)

themacpack 04-10-2012 10:22 PM

If she is infected, the time for using Oxy to cause expulsion is long past. The long and sort of it is that the mare needs to be seen, properly diagnosed and treated with more than oxy.

franknbeans 04-10-2012 10:22 PM

If she has an infection she will need more than just oxytocin. JMHO. I am sorry, but I would be calling the vet. I would not risk my mare's life.

CLaPorte432 04-10-2012 10:25 PM

Vet...ASAP.

If she isn't seen, she could die, and so can baby.

Side Note: Can the infection spread into the milk of mom and pass into foal?

Delfina 04-10-2012 10:27 PM

You're going to be lucky if you HAVE a live horse to haul to the Vet. Waiting around or fooling around with hopeful home remedies is a really bad idea.

Super Nova 04-10-2012 10:34 PM

Not expelling the placenta with in hours of the birth is considered a dire emergency......get your horse and foal to a vet ASAP

If she has an infection she her uterus will need flushing with antibiotics and saline.....this will need to be done by a vet.

Super Nova

cowgirl928 04-10-2012 10:36 PM

She doesn't have a fever at this point, she is acting normal and energetic, and I do not have the vets number, not to mention the transportation to get her to the vet at this time. One of the ladies I spoke to has foaled out a lot of mares and I trust her opinion. I am calling the vet as soon as they open tomorrow to arrange an appointment, but since calling them is pointless at this point in time because all I will get is an answering machine, I have to wait. It is going to be to cold tonight to give her oxytocin for fear of her getting too sweaty and cold and developing pneumonia. The barn is not insulated so sticking her in there only protects from the elements, not the temperature. All I can do at this point in time is either wait, or give her the oxytocin and see if it helps. The ladies at the stable that used to work at a breeding ranch agree that yes, she didn't pass all of it, but they do think that using the oxytocin first may get it out. Either way I'm calling the vet, but if there is a chance of her passing it before getting her to the vet for a for sure check I am going to try it.

Edit: the stable doesn't have a chute for the vet to do a house call, unless we used the vet clinic next door and I do not think they would be super happy about that.

franknbeans 04-10-2012 10:43 PM

So there is a vet next door who has a chute, but you are not using them? Are they not equine? I would ask! Perhaps they would charge you , but with the price of gas, it may be a wash, and much less trauma for mama.

cowgirl928 04-10-2012 10:49 PM

They are not equine, the only large animal they treat is cows. All they do for horses is coggins test and shots, but they really are as helpful as going to a small animal vet when it comes to horse care. The main problem is the time, the fact that my paycheck isn't here til Friday, and I don't have the vet's on call number. The people at the stable who deal with horse birth frequently are sure that oxytocin will get it out, so for the sake of the fact that I am going to try everything, she is getting it tomorrow. So back to my questions, How much do I give her, and what size needle? I have school from 8am-1pm tomorrow with no breaks in-between, and I am not just letting her sit that time without something maybe happening. So I am giving it to her tomorrow, I just have questions about it. Telling me to take her to the vet isn't really helping at this point, I know she needs to go to the vet and she will go, but I can't skip school without getting my butt handed to me on a silver platter by my academic advisor, my mother, and my teachers. If she gets it out with the oxytocin good for her, but she is still going to the vet regardless.

Poco1220 04-10-2012 10:55 PM

I hope you realize that vets normally (especially in an emergency) don't expect you to pay NOW! They treat your horse and send the bill. It's your choice either call the vet or be prepared to quite possibly lose your horse altogether.
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0