The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   The boys got baths!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/boys-got-baths-11957/)

Dumas'_Grrrl 07-21-2008 07:01 PM

The boys got baths!!!

Well, I finally decided that it was high time that the boys, Dumas and Twister, got baths!

I don't know if either of them had ever had a real bath or not. I know the previous owners had never done it. It took some nerve but I got it done. I took them one by one with a lead rope and got them used to the garden hose and it went from there. Twister as always was happy to stand there and get hosed off. It was so hot out sunday. Dumas on the other hand was convinced that it was a giant snake that was sure to kill him at any moment. Dumas never did relax but he eventually stood there for me. :D Dumas ran several circles around me and did his best to respect the fact that I was on the other end of the lead rope but he sure didn't want anything to do with the water. Hopefully this was the biggest hurdle and it will all be downhill from here!!!!

Vegashorselady 07-21-2008 07:37 PM

They'd never had a bath before? Holy cow I'll bet those were some diiiirty boys, lol! Congrats on a succesful first bath. Don't you just love a clean horse?

Dumas'_Grrrl 07-22-2008 12:15 PM

I guess my guys have always been farm ponys that didn't get the "special" attention. Yeah...Bathing a 9yo for the first time was interesting!

PoptartShop 07-22-2008 12:17 PM

That's great, Dumas! :D Now they're all clean, they must feel great.
LOL at least he stood there, haha!

appylover31803 07-22-2008 12:28 PM

Did they roll the second you put them back out??

Gem loves doing that, anytime he's wet, whether it be from getting a bath or getting rained on. Then he turns in a black horse :lol:

I'm glad everything went well! I'm sure after a while Dumas will realize the big green snake releases nice cold water on those hot summer days and will gladly stand. :)

FGRanch 07-22-2008 01:05 PM

The mojority of my horses have never been bathed...so you are not alone. We bathed out stud for the first time this year (he is 6) and it sounds like he responded the same as dumas. We had to put the hose on super low to get him to stand. He's a dork! LOL I don't even want to think about bathing Tana...that could be tons of fun!

HooverH 07-23-2008 04:13 AM

Hehe, I just gave Hooves another bath, too. He's always been pretty good with the hose; he loves to drink from it. I bet the boys were gorgeous!

Dumas'_Grrrl 07-23-2008 10:27 AM

I should have taken pictures! :? And yes! Dumas was first in the line up becuse I wanted to be fresh for the problem child! hahaha

He walked about 10 steps away and rolled! Twister saw him rolling and decided to roll with him! It was too funny! :lol: Then Twister got his bath. And rolled again.

They were just getting smelly from the sweat and I figured they'd appreciate the bath.

I didn't turn the water pressure down. I had it at full blast and I just started at his hooves and worked my way up and back. 8)

It was actually kind of fun and exciting all at the same time. :D

My2Geldings 07-25-2008 06:37 PM

Good for you! That's one thing I have no yet attacked with my babies. I have been seriously considering boarding my mare indoor this winter so I can get her used to the washrack and the barn.

I think teaching a horse to the washrack is what I dislike doing the most. Good for you going ahead and doing it, especially to 2 horses:D

Rachluvshorses4eva 07-26-2008 04:33 AM

Maybe next time you could squirt some of the water towards their mouths. I know alot of horses like to drink the water while having a hose down!

Congrats! Wow! 9 years old and they haven't had a bath before. Different. How long have you had them for?