The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Tell me about horse slaughter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/tell-me-about-horse-slaughter-119630/)

lilbit11011 04-11-2012 07:03 PM

Tell me about horse slaughter

I don't want to hear any "It's horrible and cruel" or " Heck yeah we need it"........I want to know what it was like for anyone that lived close to one. I live in TN and it is looking like we have a very high possibility of having one here close to me. It has already flown through Senate and what not....

I just need honest and forth right answers, stories, or personal issues. Also, please don't give me something that you heard from the internet or a friend of the third cousin twice removed and so forth. I just want to have a better idea of what I am going to have to deal with if this becomes reality. It is hard to find anything out there that isn't stereotyped one way or the other....or that doesn't make me want to vomit.

I own two horses....a mare and a gelding. My property is not accessible by any roads. You would have to drive past the house to get to the pasture/barn. Is there any issues with horse theft rising in areas with slaughter plants??? Any security measures you would suggest such as tattoos, micro chipping, flood lights, or anything around the barn?

What about property values??? Would they be affected if the plant was close to the property??

I really don't know a lot about these issues or what exactly other issues would be. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed. But please, be polite, respectful, and considerate to everyone else.

sommsama09 04-11-2012 07:20 PM

I read a news report once that said it was foul smelling with the blood draining in the gutters, and that children didnt go to school, and no one left their houses once because it was so bad - sounds like bad managment... would like to see what others have to say.

*just saw you dont want internet related info, sorry!

Foxhunter 04-11-2012 07:24 PM

I cannot speak about the USA but I can speak about the UK, where I hasten to add, things are very different.

Theft had practically been stopped here because of the compulsory microchipping of all horses born after 2010 - before that many were chipped anyway.
Abattoirs will scan a horse on acceptance for slaughter if delivered by a private person Other horses from sales/dealers will have a passport to accompany them and if microchipped the correct documentation has to be on the passport and tally with the horse.

Most abattoirs are set up away from immediate neighbours and in the UK any place dealing with horses are only doing so on certain days otherwise that are dealing with cattle, pigs and sheep.

lilbit11011 04-11-2012 07:33 PM

Thank you so far...gotta go make dinner. Keep up the info please and I will check it in a little bit.

ponyboy 04-11-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbit11011 (Post 1449737)
Also, please don't give me something that you heard from the internet

There's an irony here.

Are you looking for facts or opinions?

caseymyhorserocks 04-11-2012 09:54 PM

Most horses are killed using bolt guns .. Horses struggle and aren't always caught in the right place by it .. And then they slit their throats and hang 'em upside down so the blood drains out making it easier to process it.

caseymyhorserocks 04-11-2012 10:09 PM

Oh, I was in a hurry, the bolt gun shoots a metal pipe into the horses forehead and when in the right place it kills them.. But like I said, the horses struggle.

sjwrightauthor 04-11-2012 10:18 PM

It might be hard to find somebody who doesn't have a set opinion on this issue based on media reports. I'm not sure if they are still processing horses at the big plant in Forth Worth or not, but I think I saw a news report about it online based on what kinds of experiences the neighbors faced.

KarrotKreek 04-11-2012 10:21 PM

Slaughter houses are different from processing plants that take the raw ingredients to make dog food and such. I think this causes some confusion.

The processing plants have an odor. Typically during very very early morning hours and late at night when they run the plant to avoid local complaints. I drive by some of these on occasion.

The worst odor are the large scale pig and chicken farms... it's 24/7 stink and honestly the worst smell in my opinion. We refused to consider purchasing a farm after finding out on our visit that it was downwind from one of those.

Adam 04-11-2012 10:33 PM

If you are just concerned about living next to a slaughter house you could also solicit information from people who live next to other types of slaughter houses (pigs, cattle, whatnot). I'm pretty sure, from the outside, one is not much different from the other. When I worked for a material handling company I had to go to a pig slaughter house to service their forklifts. From the outside it didn't look or smell much different from any other plant I'd been to. The forklifts were kind of funky tho LOL
As for your horse being stolen to be sold to a slaughter house, I guess anything is possible. Both cattle and pigs are stolen for similar reasons, so I guess the same could apply to horses, However, I doubt your proximity to a horse slaughter house would increase your risk.

Foxhunter's comment has reminded me, I want to check into the whole microchipping thing!