The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Starting jumping, a question about boots (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/starting-jumping-question-about-boots-119659/)

Ashely 04-11-2012 11:28 PM

Starting jumping, a question about boots

I've recently started jumping my 15HH QH gelding, hes doing very well and has jumped over cavalletti and even a few small standard jumps; However im worried about his feet, he's knocked his front and back feet a few times and i don't want him to hurt any of his tendons. What boots would you suggest for him? I was thinking about the professionals choice SMB elite's just to stop some of that impact he's getting. Are any of you using boots? if so what would you recommend?

Oxer 04-11-2012 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my guy goes in polos and bells in front. he will pull a shoe from time to time, but he's not much one for rubbing/pulling rails. You could always try open fronts as well... but they tend to be more expensive. which is why i ride in polos. haha! They're always super cheap and easy to keep clean.

gypsygirl 04-12-2012 08:37 AM

personally, if i were you and my horse was hitting such low obstacles, i would keep the boots off. it sounds like hes either very unbalanced and not ready for what you are asking him, or very lazy. when the jumps are still low i prefer to ride without boots so they hit the poles a couple times and realize they want to be snappy and not hit their feet.

as far as smbs, i really dont like them at all. they get pretty hot which can damage their tendons and ligaments. they also dont have a hard outter shell or strike pad so it doesnt protect that much if they hit their hoof on their leg. polos also provide zero protection. for a jumping boot i like a stirke pad on them. i really like woof boots.

crimsonsky 04-12-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1450688)
personally, if i were you and my horse was hitting such low obstacles, i would keep the boots off. it sounds like hes either very unbalanced and not ready for what you are asking him, or very lazy. when the jumps are still low i prefer to ride without boots so they hit the poles a couple times and realize they want to be snappy and not hit their feet.

as far as smbs, i really dont like them at all. they get pretty hot which can damage their tendons and ligaments. they also dont have a hard outter shell or strike pad so it doesnt protect that much if they hit their hoof on their leg. polos also provide zero protection. for a jumping boot i like a stirke pad on them. i really like woof boots.

i agree with most of this however i'm not exactly a big fan of the woof boots solely because i don't like the way the neoprene overlaps. *shrug*

i do have a full set of SMB elites for my TB but we only use them out on trail rides.

hflmusicislife 04-15-2012 07:29 PM

I agree with gypsy. I jumped my mare up to 3'6 without anything, no problem. She rarely hits jumps now, but when I first got her she was knocking rails all the time even at a low height. The only time I use boots are for xc, just because the jumps are solid. I have woof boots and I really like them.

Ashely 04-16-2012 09:00 PM

Okay guys thanks for the replys! Im gonna try some woof boots then