The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Mix between indoor/outdoor arena? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/mix-between-indoor-outdoor-arena-119672/)

petitepyromaniac 04-11-2012 11:48 PM

Mix between indoor/outdoor arena?

I want an arena with protection from rain/wind, but I'd love it to be filled with natural light and feel open. I thought about building an arena with just the roof, but that doesn't help the wind issue. Lots of windows maybe? Walls that only go halfway up? What do you guys have (pictures would be great!)?

This is to give me ideas for the future. Thanks!

caseymyhorserocks 04-12-2012 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can put skylights in also.. I have seen arenas completely walled in, and ones so simple all they have is a roof.. Mine, ya wanna see it? Best picture I have of it.. I just use my pastures (Casey's tail is swinging).. TONS of open air and light.. great wind block with all the trees and the "barn"..

Skyseternalangel 04-12-2012 02:58 AM

OP, my barn has something like that.

http://www.westbrookhorsefarm.com/wp...41-994x306.jpg

It's an indoor with no sides on it, just bars supporting the roof. It's alright just need to keep it watered as much as any other barn but it doesn't beat having an outdoor :)

petitepyromaniac 04-12-2012 03:09 AM

That is beautiful!!!! Thank you for sharing. My imagination could never come up with that on it's own :)

Skyseternalangel 04-12-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 1450605)
That is beautiful!!!! Thank you for sharing. My imagination could never come up with that on it's own :)

You're welcome. Hopefully you figure out what you want with a little inspiration :)

tlkng1 04-12-2012 05:14 AM

Even with the open top set up you are still going to have wind issues though it would be cut down.

While I don't have picrures :), take the same open top edge version that Sky posted and maybe add slider type windows. That way, you can leave them up for nice days or drop them down in windy/rainy conditions and still have the natural light.

One version I have always thought about is an arena with a retractable roof :) or sides. A bit of an engineering issue but can't see why it couldn't be done.

Skyseternalangel 04-12-2012 05:26 AM

You know it'd be kind of cool if the sides were opaque so light could come in but you couldn't really see out of it, you know?

Darrin 04-12-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1450636)
You know it'd be kind of cool if the sides were opaque so light could come in but you couldn't really see out of it, you know?

There are arenas that are essentially a giant tent with ribs to stretch the material over. Plenty of light let in during the day and lights for night use.

crimsonsky 04-12-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin (Post 1450891)
There are arenas that are essentially a giant tent with ribs to stretch the material over. Plenty of light let in during the day and lights for night use.

you mean the coverall arenas? :)

here is a link: Norseman Structures | Fabric Building Solutions

there are also a few threads on the forum here about people who have built coverall arenas.

Saddlebag 04-12-2012 12:34 PM

My larger ring is surrounded on the west and north by a thick stand of trees and bushes. Makes a big difference.