The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   I've made the decision... (

appylover31803 07-21-2008 08:44 PM

I've made the decision...
I have decided to sell Vega.

I had yet another bad ride on her, that had the potential for me to get seriously injured. The Bo's husband got injured by her stepping on his foot/ankle (though that was due to another horse) But she was also lashing out at me.

And i know why. It's because i just don't have the experience to train a 5 year old. I have no idea how much to sell her for, or what exactly to get after i sell her, but i do know she needs to go. As much as it breaks my heart, i'm starting to loose interest in riding and in horses in general. :shock:

Tom is not happy with it, and i understand because he bought her for me, and it's just hard making him understand that I don't have the experience to deal with her, so why not sell her to someone that has the experience to work with her.

I do have the name and number of a trainer that i could send Vega to for a month... but i'm not sure if I, personally, want to do that.. hoping for a miracle. She might be fine at the trainers but when i get her back, she'll fall into the same routine. I just want an uncomplicated horse to ride....

I just browsed on a site that has horses for sale...I found 6 that i liked. They all seem to be western horses, but that doesn't mean that i can't do both with them. And they're all geldings too. I'm getting out of owning a mare. As much as i love not having to sheath clean, i much rather clean them than deal with moody mares.

So that's where i currently stand with Vega. *sigh*

PoptartShop 07-21-2008 08:49 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Aw, Appy...I understand your situation. I hope you can find a good home for her- someone that can deal with her behavior. ;)
I know you'll find the right horse for you, it just takes time! I also know how much you love Vega, she's a very pretty horse! :D
Don't be too hard on yourself, it's your choice & you'll make a good decision.

appylover31803 07-21-2008 08:55 PM

Thanks pop!

I think it's been hard for me to handle her from the beginning but i always said it's because she's young.. well i think a bigger problem was me, and i feel you really have to man up to something like that... that it was your fault, not the animals.

I'm thinking about doing a trade for her with this one woman. She's owns a barn and always has horses for sale, and once Vega has some more miles put under her belt, i'm sure she'll be able to sell her for a lot. Vega is flashy, has gorgeous movements.. and how knows, maybe her moodiness will change.

I just really need to talk to Tom about it.. he said he has to much going on to deal with it right now..... :roll:

Small_Town_Girl 07-21-2008 09:16 PM

I understand your situation, that's the whole reason I traded
my gelding Ace, I had a few seriously bad rides with him and
didn't want to take the risk of getting hurt.

Good Luck with what ever you decide! :D

mlkarel2010 07-21-2008 10:11 PM

Awww, *hugs*

Hopefully you can sell her to a great home... and hopefully Tom will understand, but guys are fickle creatures (no offense guys :wink: )

You can always list her as "Make An Offer" or maybe talk to the people who own the horses you like and see if a trade is an option...

honestly, I think she would go for around $2,500-4,000 because she is so dang pretty and isn't completely unbroken, just needs some work

Craiglist is an amazing thing too!

Good luck with this whole thing.

((((more hugs))))

SonnyWimps 07-21-2008 10:32 PM

awww I'm sorry Appy *hugs*
I know this is hard for you! I wish you the best of luck with finding a new horse. I'm sure Tom will realize soon that you are doing what is best for both Vega and yourself.
Best of luck!!

my2geldings 07-22-2008 12:39 AM

Unfortunate to hear you have to let her go but glad you are able to come to good terms with it and wish you the best of luck in finding a good home for her.
Don't let this experience take away from your love for horses. Once you find a horse that has more experience and training than she did you will see how much better things can become.
I have a friend who has owned this fairly crazy gelding for years. She got hurt quite a few times on him and she started to lose interest in horses because of how negative her experiences had become.
She got a new horse (tho she still owns him and refuses to sell him lol) and it's as tho her life has become back to normal and her passion for horses is as strong as ever.

appylover31803 07-22-2008 11:20 AM

I just really bit off more than i could chew. I never really trained a horse, only ridden those hard to handle ones, so i've been out of my element for the 1 1/2 years i've owned her. But i really tried to make it work. Bought Parelli level 1 to try and do that with her, but i wasn't up there enough and she was so pushy and would try and kick, that i would rather just lead her and do stuff like that rather than risk me getting kicked (there have been 2 times where i'm surprised i wasn't kicked in the head and numerous times where i'm surprised i wasn't kicked else where)

I talk to my MIL and FIL and my MIL understands where i'm coming from and she's supporting me in whatever i decided to do. My FIL on the other hand, wants me to pay $550 a month to get her trained, and if that doesn't work then sell her, and then either don't get another horse and ride Gem (who can only be ridden at a walk for 10-15 min for right now) or lease a horse... but basically he said for me NOT to get another horse. I got so upset, but my MIL told him that it's just no the same and that i want another horse. And if i want to start competeing, i much rather do it on my own horse, than a horse i'm leasing.

Tom wants me to "sell" Vega to him, so he'll take over her and give me some money and buy another horse. While i don't hate that idea, i'll feel bad to have a 5 year old horse kind of just sitting in the pasture, even though Tom is great with the horses. I also said i'll go to auction and get a horse, though i've never been and i'm not sure if that's the smartest move.. considering i won't be able to get a pre-purchase exam and everything.. but that is an option for me.

Other than that, i'm not sure who to get a horse from. There's a farm extremely close by that sells horses.. i have a list of 6 horses from that place that i liked the looks, age, height, breed of.. but I don't know how it will work with Vega. I would like to know where she goes, how she's doing and everything. Over the next month or so, i'll see how things go.

Does it make me a bad mommy that after 1 1/2 years, i'm selling her? or does it make me a responsible owner that i realized things aren't going to work out?

kim_angel 07-22-2008 11:54 AM


I know exactly how you feel !!!
I had to sell Angel because she was too young for me to handle. If I were younger & didnt have an injured back, perhaps things would have been different. But it was dangerous for me to ride her because she was unpredictable.

I was not interested in going to the stable anymore at that point - and after I sold her I didnt really even want another horse. But then I stumbled upon Toby. Right from the moment I saw him, I knew he was the horse for me.

Even though, at age 13, he still has his issues, I feel safe on him and trust him.

I say - if you arent happy with Vega, if you dont feel safe on her and if you are losing interest because of it... sell her. Find your horsie soul mate and be happy.



appylover31803 07-22-2008 12:48 PM

Thanks Kim! ((hugs))

I talked to Tom some more today, and we're not selling Vega. But the good news is, he's going to give me around 3k to find a horse. He told me to wait a while and not jump on anything, which i am totally going to do, but i just couldn't help but look. I have found 6 horses on dreamhorse that i either like the picture wand what was said, or what was said (if there wasn't a picture) I still might talk to the owner of a barn that sells horses and see if she has anything for around 3k.. which i doubt because she's rather expensive, but who knows.

I'm very happy that I don't have to sell Vega. I know she'll have a good home, i could ride her if i wanted, but i'd know that she isn't getting bounced from place to place and i know she won't end up at an auction. I don't think id be able to sleep at night if i didn't know where she was.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome