The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mystery lameness AFTER an abscess? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mystery-lameness-after-abscess-119720/)

Moei 04-12-2012 11:33 AM

Mystery lameness AFTER an abscess?

So about 2 weeks ago my horse turned up lame, the ferrier came out and confirmed it was a bruise, we wrapped it with Animalintex and he got a little better but not much so the ferrier was out again and confirmed the bruise turned into an abcess and he popped it with his fingers we soaked it for 4 days and kept it wrapped he was completely sound 2 days before the ferrier came then the morning the ferrier showed he was limping just a little.we thought he was just sore form not having a shoe so we put it back on and he was ok after that. then that afternoon i took him out to the arena to do groundwork and after trotting a little he started to limp again! the ferrier said he may be sore for 2 days so i didn't worry, then yesterday i went out and again he was fine so i saddled him up and went to the arena he was fine until we started trotting then he would limp a little. after we slowed down to a walk he was limping and would hold his foot up a little. it was strange because he would be fine for a few strides then limp again on a different surface. his hoof feels warm and but i cannot feel a digital pulse in it. the ferrier put a pad on his foot when he put the shoe back on, is it possible this could be another abcess? Any thoughts as to what it could be?

Saddlebag 04-12-2012 12:41 PM

I suspect it closed off and wasn't completely cleared up. Try soaking twice daily with Epsom salts for a few more days. The surface of an abcess can close over when it hasn't healed inside, creating a perfect medium to flare up.

farmpony84 04-12-2012 12:48 PM

Abscesses sometimes can take months to heal. The biggest thing is to try to keep it oozing as long as you can to get all the crud out. Continue soaking even after it opens for a few days as well to keep the area soft and use Ichthomal or a drawing agent....

Good luck!

Saddlebag 04-12-2012 03:38 PM

If the farrier added a pad there is no way you can clean the hole if it's in the sole. I'm surprised he did that. An abcess needs to be able to drain.

Moei 04-12-2012 04:28 PM

We soaked it in Epsom salts for 4 days and used icthemal. He said it wasn't to bad.

verona1016 04-12-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1451107)
I suspect it closed off and wasn't completely cleared up. Try soaking twice daily with Epsom salts for a few more days. The surface of an abcess can close over when it hasn't healed inside, creating a perfect medium to flare up.

^^^ This. Last year my horse got an abscess that did the same thing. It finally cleared up when I soaked & wrapped his foot every day for 10 days, even though he stopped limping after 2 or 3 days.

Moei 04-12-2012 09:56 PM

Ok i just was out there after i posted my last post and he wasn't limping!! i trotted him around, longed him and he didn't limp i even rode him a little and he was fine, we are still going to have a vet look at him tomorrow.