The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Am I to tall for my mare?? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/am-i-tall-my-mare-119738/)

MyHorsesGurl 04-12-2012 02:28 PM

Am I to tall for my mare??

I have a 13.3 -/+ HH mare (Emmie the sweetest thing ever) she is around 1000lbs (def not sure)
I am 120lbs and 5'7-8 (and growing) my feet dangle down to her knees:?
I was just wondering if I should imedeitly move on to a larger horse or how long should I wait (I'm already thinking of buying a larger horse)

Please just help and no smart elic remarks :D

oh vair oh 04-12-2012 04:45 PM

It depends more on weight than on height. Your weight for the horse seems appropriate, but you are a very tall person. Being tall can have its advantages, because you can sit a buck better and have more use of your legs. But if you are looking to be competitive you need a proportional horse. It paints a prettier picture for showing. If you feel you have not only outgrown your horse physically, but skill-wise as well, then you probably should look for a horse above the 15.1hh range. If you are happy and your horse is comfortable, then enjoy your horse until you reach that point.

MN Tigerstripes 04-12-2012 04:48 PM

I ride my pony Lily who is 13'2 and about 900 lbs regularly, I'm 5'9" and 150 (right now WILL get down to 140 again!!) It looks a little odd, but she gets along just fine on our trail rides. I've never had her say "no I can't" yet and she's usually the last to get tired. We don't ride easy either, as my one friend says "You ride games on the trails" which means that our slow gait is trot.

cowboy bowhunter 04-13-2012 10:33 AM

No im 5'10 150 lbs and i like a 13.3 cutting horse. I have seen a 250 lbs guy ride her and she did great.

horsemadgirl 04-13-2012 10:35 AM

i would say it all depends on how sturdy you and your hours are. She'l defiantly carry you but you may not get a flu ride potential out of her and me not be nearly as comfortable for you :)

BlueSpark 04-13-2012 10:36 AM

No, your not too big for her. If you feel better on a taller horse, go for it.

GotaDunQH 04-16-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyHorsesGurl (Post 1451320)
I have a 13.3 -/+ HH mare (Emmie the sweetest thing ever) she is around 1000lbs (def not sure)
I am 120lbs and 5'7-8 (and growing) my feet dangle down to her knees:?
I was just wondering if I should imedeitly move on to a larger horse or how long should I wait (I'm already thinking of buying a larger horse)

Please just help and no smart elic remarks :D

if your feet are down near her knees, then I would say you are too tall for her. Your weight is fine, but the height is an issue. Because your lower leg is an invaluable aid in riding...you have lost a major source of communication with your horse.

nvr2many 04-16-2012 04:24 PM

I know that I felt oooooooooooooooooo so big for one that I got and just could not get over it. So I would say even if you look good if you do not feel good you will not be happy.
Funny thing, I went the other way and now own and ride a 16.3hh+ TB, lol.

nvr2many 04-16-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotaDunQH (Post 1457579)
if your feet are down near her knees, then I would say you are too tall for her. Your weight is fine, but the height is an issue. Because your lower leg is an invaluable aid in riding...you have lost a major source of communication with your horse.

I agree! I even feel this way after riding my BIG guy, he is tall and big around when I get on my tall slimmer horse. My contact is all messed up, lol.