The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Dream walker ranch? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/dream-walker-ranch-119740/)

Gaited4Life 04-12-2012 04:03 PM

Dream walker ranch?

Anyone bought a horse from Dream Walker ranch in NV? Experiences?

Speed Racer 04-12-2012 04:15 PM

I have not, but they have some very nice, well trained animals.

I'd really like to have Zeus. What a looker!

Dark Horse 04-15-2012 06:15 PM

Haven't bought anything from them but word on the street is honest reputable people but their horses are a bit on the high side. Hope that helps. Ask for references..they should be more than happy to supply them.

Another place you might want to try, depending on where you live, google GG Flatshod farms in KY. I've spoken to them at length on the phone and really got a good feel for them. Very honest and direct, they didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, they told me what horse they thought would be best suited for me. I do know people who bought from them, with good experiences.

Newby32 04-25-2012 10:33 PM

Dream Walkers have a good reputation for turning out well trained (and beautiful) horses. There is a Tennessee Walker at our barn from Dream Walkers and he's wonderful. However, these horses are definitely on the pricey side.

imagaitin 04-27-2012 01:08 AM

I have friends who have purchased 2 horses (at different times) from Dream Walker and they were really happy with them. They drove to Las Vegas and picked up the horses themselves. (There is a complaint about them online, however, it appears the problems came from the shipper the person chose to use, so I don't believe you can blame Dream Walker for this problem.)

Whenever I purchase a horse (or a dog for that matter), I take the time and do the transport myself. That way, I have control, I know the condition of the horse at purchase, and I can get back home ASAP. Some of these poor horses end up in the back of a transport truck for weeks. Horrible.

Trail Diva 06-21-2013 01:09 AM

Review of Dream Walker Ranch

Bought a horse from them based on pictures and videos, it was absolutely beautiful. The horse was shipped (NOT impressed with the shipper) and arrived sick. My Vet came out and checked the horse, did bloodwork. The Vet said the horse was 200 lbs underweight and anemic. Treated for coughing and runny eyes. Also my farrier came out right away as the hooves were overgrown. Farrier said all four feet had bad thrush and the horse was way overdue for shoes, probably had not had shoes in at least 3 months, feet in bad shape. So the moral of the story is, after spending a LOT of money on the purchase price of the horse, I spent a couple thousand more in Vets bills, farrier bills, high quality feed and hay, and supplements. I am happy with how the horse turned out, but it took a lot of time and money to get there.

Jolly Badger 06-22-2013 01:26 PM

If you can go to the farm, look at the animals they are selling, test-ride (if the horse is already backed/trained for riding), get a pre-purchase exam, etc. that's your best option.

I'd never buy a horse, sight-unseen, based on what the seller determined would be "best" for me. Certainly wouldn't have it shipped to me until I'd seen it with my own eyes.

And Walkers may not be as common in that part of the country as in others, so some sellers may take advantage of that fact and try to sell at higher prices.

A guy I know used to go to Arizona every year (he lives in Indiana) with a couple of nice, well-trained and seasoned gaited trail horses he had in training. . .because people there would pay double or triple what he could sell them for in the midwest. Not show horses. . .just pleasure/trail. . .but people with the $$$ were willing to spend it.

Malda 06-24-2013 11:37 PM

Your profile says NE Iowa, Cloud 9 Walkers might be closer to you.

Tennessee Walking Horses -- CLOUD 9 WALKERS - Tennessee Walking Horses For Sale

I haven't been there, but it's another place I've heard good things about. They really seem to use their horses on the trail, etc.

EponaLynn 08-15-2013 08:15 PM

Someone I know went to look at the horses at Dream Walkers a couple of years ago, and took their trainer along. They were very excited about getting one as they all look so beautiful.

They are relative beginners and the trainer tried out quite a few for them and recommended that they NOT buy any. She said that they didn't know how to back up and they were almost "dead" in the eye.

Rather sad as they were so excited but they found another horse from a smaller operation closer to home.

Gaited07 08-16-2013 12:40 AM

The people of Dream Walker Ranch are definitely up standing. One of my boarders have one of their horses and recieved the best of customer service that I witnessed. DWR stands by their name and the horse they sell.