The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What colour is my horse exactly? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-colour-my-horse-exactly-119742/)

Sarahbalou 04-12-2012 03:13 PM

What colour is my horse exactly?

2 Attachment(s)
I have just registered to this forum and I have made a page about my lease horse, but I really started doubting which colour she is. I mostly say it's just dark brown or something, but there were suddenly so many options to chose from... I looked them all up on google and wikipedia, but I'm still not sure if she's just brown (dark bay) or seal brown (wasn't even an option, but I found it on wikipedia; it's not the same as seal bay apparently) or maybe liver chestnut. Some people even call her black, but my 'research' has pointed out that that's not possible because she has lighter hairs around her eyes and muzzle. I also find it hard to tell because in winter her coat is much darker.

I hope there are some experts here who can tell me (although on wikipedia is said that even an experienced eye can't always make the distinction between dark bay and seal brown, but it's worth a shot, right?).

I think these are my best pictures to tell. The first one is with her winter coat and the second with her summer coat.

This is my first topic on this forum, so I'm not sure if I did the attachments right. It's also he first time I use a smaller font :-P

Speed Racer 04-12-2012 03:16 PM

She looks like a dark bay to me, since she has black points.

Sarahbalou 04-12-2012 03:19 PM

Wow, thanks for your quick reaction!

Jacksmama 04-12-2012 03:31 PM

I second dark bay, but I am really not super knowledgable on "browns" lol. Hopefully one of our resident color guru's can give a definite answer:)

Sarahbalou 04-12-2012 03:34 PM

Thank you!

dunfold 04-12-2012 03:37 PM

She is a brown. The brown also have black points as it is also a black based colour

horsemadgirl 04-12-2012 03:52 PM

dark bay because of the points. she's beautiful:)

Nokotaheaven 04-12-2012 03:54 PM

I think she may be a lobo dun.. It's a rare colour that i believe usually pops up only in mustangs. But I know a Kiger mare that is that colour, and she is brown around the eyes and muzzle like this, and has kind of lighter points on her body that resemble more of a dunnish colour like your horse does... And she also has dark points. Lobos are often mistaken as bays or browns

Nokotaheaven 04-12-2012 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 94394
Lobo dun kiger mare

DraftyAiresMum 04-12-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 1451473)
I think she may be a lobo dun.. It's a rare colour that i believe usually pops up only in mustangs. But I know a Kiger mare that is that colour, and she is brown around the eyes and muzzle like this, and has kind of lighter points on her body that resemble more of a dunnish colour like your horse does... And she also has dark points. Lobos are often mistaken as bays or browns

If the OP was in the States, I'd say maybe to your color thought. However, the OP is in Belgium, so I highly doubt her horse is a mustang or a lobo dun.

OP, my vote is going to brown on this one. The difference in color between her winter coat and summer coat leads me to think brown. The only true dark bay horses I've known haven't changed color from one season to another.