The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is he just a heavy breaher? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/he-just-heavy-breaher-11980/)

mlkarel2010 07-21-2008 11:02 PM

Is he just a heavy breaher?

Duke has always breathed heavily at a lope. But it's not like he's struggling to breathe he just takes deep loud breaths. His nostrils don't flare or anything. But today I noticed he was breathing more like that at the trot too.

Could there be something wrong with him or does he just breathe heavily.

He's a big 12 y/o QH gelding if that helps

barefoothooves 07-22-2008 08:37 AM

If it's been as hot there as it has here..he's probably just taxed by the heat. Try to ride in the mornings if you can (not always possible, I know) and I remember you saying you try to ride when it's cool.

Might just be sure to take it easy while it's really hot, work on slower work or be sure to have plenty of breaks where he can just walk around.

PoptartShop 07-22-2008 10:26 AM

I agree, it's probably the heat. Although, a lot of horses breathe heavily at a lope/canter. :) Or they snort as they do it...lol.

FGRanch 07-22-2008 12:10 PM

I would have your vet come out and check his lungs just to be on the safe side. That's all Kita used to do and now she has pretty bad asthma.

FoxyRoxy1507 07-22-2008 12:38 PM

also have ur vet check the flaps in his nose and throat, we had a big hanovarian that would do that only when he cantered and a lot when he trotted if it was hot, found out the flaps in his nose and throat were not open all the way and he had to have surgery for it

mlkarel2010 07-22-2008 04:33 PM

It might be because of the heat, but I only ride in the morning and the evening when it's tons cooler....

I'll tell his owner though, because I don't think I can call the vet myself.

Thanks for the help though! And I hope it's not the nose flap thing... I'd feel bad for him...