The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Horse trailers: Convincing my dad (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/horse-trailers-convincing-my-dad-119811/)

TSPCowboy 04-12-2012 10:22 PM

Horse trailers: Convincing my dad

Hello everyone,

So coming up this Summer, my family and I are looking into buying an acreage. With this, we would also need a horse trailer in order to be independent and keep the horses at our place. My father is NOT a horse person, and this is why I need your help.

Recently, I've been looking online for something local, and something used. In good shape, VERY good shape. The thing is, every time my dad gets involved in the process (he and I would be splitting the cost), he goes the cheap route on me. He'll go down the list, to trailers that are being sold for <3,000, which, may seem like a lot, but the trailers themselves, are rusted, from the late 80's early 90's, have wooden flooring, and need some serious fixing up to do. Who knows what the axles look like. I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting my horses lives on the line with something so sketchy.

To my question.

What can I possibly do, to prove to my dad, that we need to sacrifice a little, to be safe, and ultimately, keep my horses alive. I really need some help, because he won't seem to budge. He keeps saying that we would just need to fix them up, but with the amount of fixing up we would have to do, it would be easier, and maybe even MORE cost effective, if we went with something newer and safer. Anything would help. Videos, articles, stories, ANYTHING to help me push him in a safer direction.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you. :)

Lockwood 04-12-2012 11:07 PM

Well, here's one route to try....
Think of the trailer as being for more than just a horse. Like hauling hay, which can be very, very heavy and without a proper strongly made trailer it could get ugly.
Or moving the furniture to the new place, or the trailer having to haul around XYZ (whatever he deems precious) or used to pick up the endless list of supplies for said horse... umm, I mean new farm.
Convince him of the multi-use-abilities of said trailer and how important it is to get a good/sturdy/safe one because it will haul far more than just "a horse" and far heavier things than just "a horse".

Both of my horse trailers haul more and heavier "other" things than they will ever haul horses.

TSPCowboy 04-13-2012 01:02 AM

Thanks! :) I'll definitely go into this with him :)

Tack Collector 04-14-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

What can I possibly do, to prove to my dad, that we need to sacrifice a little,...

"We" get a job and "we" pay at least half the cost of the trailer, should impress him, LOL! Parenst have a lot of financial pressures without spending more hard-earned money of depreciating assets like horse trailers and tow vehicles.

Do you have a towing vehicle? A serious one, like a 3/4T pickup or at lease a heavy 1/2T?