The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bad Saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bad-saddle-119854/)

poppy1356 04-13-2012 10:12 AM

Bad Saddle?

Ok so I am having problems with my seat. I cannot seem to stay in my saddle or really even post. (English saddle) Now I have been riding for 15 years and 13 of those have been english riding so I am not new to this at all. But I seem to slide everywhere and I just am not sitting correctly at all. My stirrup leather even came off yesterday when riding, the bar just let the leather come off with hardly any pressure we had just started walking.

So my question here is, is this a saddle issue? This is a very cheap no name saddle supposed to be an AP. So still actual leather but the painted kind of stuff, very slippery. I know it's not the most comfortable for my horse but I am still working on building her muscle and I don't want to buy a saddle for it to not fit in a month.

I was looking into maybe a Wintec dressage saddle as I would prefer to get a dressage saddle anyway. Anyone have any input or opinions on the Wintec saddles?

Thank you for any input.

jumanji321 04-13-2012 10:19 AM

Could you post pictures of this saddle? IMHO those no-name saddles actually prohibit a horse from using itself properly, at least mine did.

poppy1356 04-13-2012 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you that is what I suspected. As she doesn't move out very well in her trot undersaddle as she does on the lunge, which also doesn't help.

I found a Wintec 500 dressage saddle for sale in my area for $180 with only cosmetic flaw with some cracking on the plastic, is this worth it? I really want something with the changable gullet as she will change shape.

Picture below is with the saddle on her when I first adopted her, she has put some muscle on since but hasn't changed the fit in her withers yet.

mls 04-13-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1452867)
I know it's not the most comfortable for my horse but I am still working on building her muscle and I don't want to buy a saddle for it to not fit in a month.

Unfortunately if the saddle does not fit your horse, your horse will not be able to move correctly. Her not moving correctly will greatly impact how you are able to move with - or aganist her.

poppy1356 04-13-2012 11:00 AM

What is the easiest way to measure her for a saddle? I keep finding how to fit for a western saddle but not english. And everyone at my barn rides western mostly. I also think that because the saddle is a no name brand that it does not put me in the correct position as even just sitting on her feels off.

mls 04-13-2012 11:04 AM

MN Horse Expo Schedule

At 9:45 on Sunday Colleen Kelly will be taling about riding equipment. Would be a good session to attend.

blue eyed pony 04-13-2012 11:11 AM

I don't think it fits her in the photo :/ I think it's too narrow. Can't comment on whether it's bridging or not but it just seems perched on top.

When you're fitting an English saddle, you look at gullet size (the Wintec/Bates gullet measurer is brilliant, if you know how to use it properly, or otherwise you can use coat hanger wire bent to fit your horse's shape and compare gullet plates or actual saddles to that) and the actual shape of the saddle vs the shape of the horse. Is the tree straight or banana-shaped? Is your horse's back the right shape for the tree? You can measure your horse's back shape with the same coat hanger wire described above, just shape it to the area where the saddle goes, under where the panel sits NOT over the wither, and check that against the panels of the saddle. And one more question - does it have enough spine/wither clearance for your horse? My horse hasn't got a particularly wide spine but he needs a wide channel as his back is longish and has a lot more flex and play in it, so when he's flexed on a turn a narrower channel will mean there is weight on his spine. It shouldn't be.

Wintec saddles are great saddles for the price. The latest models are very very nice and will honestly stand up to a decent leather saddle for fit and position. The quality of build is great, the plastic isn't slippery, and the very latest models have special balance shims that mean you can just about fit it yourself if you know what you're doing.

My new Wintec CC saddle has THE widest channel I've seen on a saddle in my life, which is great because my horse can bend and flex correctly without the saddle putting weight on his spine.

Absolutely recommend a Wintec.

I also have a cheaper made saddle, it has a name and a brand but the quality is, shall we say, lacking. Foam padding, lucky it fits my horse pretty well but it puts me in a crap position and I hate it.. hence I upgraded to a Wintec CC.

poppy1356 04-13-2012 11:12 AM

Thank you

poppy1356 04-13-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1452960)
I don't think it fits her in the photo :/ I think it's too narrow. Can't comment on whether it's bridging or not but it just seems perched on top.

When you're fitting an English saddle, you look at gullet size (the Wintec/Bates gullet measurer is brilliant, if you know how to use it properly, or otherwise you can use coat hanger wire bent to fit your horse's shape and compare gullet plates or actual saddles to that) and the actual shape of the saddle vs the shape of the horse. Is the tree straight or banana-shaped? Is your horse's back the right shape for the tree? You can measure your horse's back shape with the same coat hanger wire described above, just shape it to the area where the saddle goes, under where the panel sits NOT over the wither, and check that against the panels of the saddle. And one more question - does it have enough spine/wither clearance for your horse? My horse hasn't got a particularly wide spine but he needs a wide channel as his back is longish and has a lot more flex and play in it, so when he's flexed on a turn a narrower channel will mean there is weight on his spine. It shouldn't be.

Wintec saddles are great saddles for the price. The latest models are very very nice and will honestly stand up to a decent leather saddle for fit and position. The quality of build is great, the plastic isn't slippery, and the very latest models have special balance shims that mean you can just about fit it yourself if you know what you're doing.

My new Wintec CC saddle has THE widest channel I've seen on a saddle in my life, which is great because my horse can bend and flex correctly without the saddle putting weight on his spine.

Absolutely recommend a Wintec.

I also have a cheaper made saddle, it has a name and a brand but the quality is, shall we say, lacking. Foam padding, lucky it fits my horse pretty well but it puts me in a crap position and I hate it.. hence I upgraded to a Wintec CC.

Thank you for that. Luckily I have a tack shop not to far away with wintec saddles currently so I will have to take measurements and bring them in. I worry about it not being wide enough over the spine. I currently use a slight riser pad to keep it off the withers but this saddle was for a different horse that the sale fell through last minute. I know that very shortly it will pinch in the withers as she gains muscle, so I am on the hunt to find a saddle. I currently only ride for about 10-20 min a time.

Is there anywhere that has some kind of diagram that shows how to take measurements? I want to make sure I'm measuring in the correct spot. I never had to worry about tack in the past as I had a lease and was provided with all tack, still learning.

poppy1356 04-13-2012 11:55 AM

Oh and one more thing, that saddle in the picture is a 5 or 6 in gullet, I can't remember which but I know it is considered a medium. And she is a full Arab, I do not know much about the breed as far as fitting saddles and how their shape is usually different.