The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Treats and snacks for horses with Azoturia (Tying-Up)? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/treats-snacks-horses-azoturia-tying-up-119879/)

Equitation4life 04-13-2012 01:13 PM

Treats and snacks for horses with Azoturia (Tying-Up)?

My new horse i just bought (Dolce, retired racehorse) has suffered from tying up. The barn we bought him from said that he has tyed up "many" times. He's been fed Patriot scince he last tied up, and hes looking well. Im staying away from sugar treats and starches, and have been giving him nice fresh carrots and apples. Any help or advice to keep him nice and healthy? :-)

Cacowgirl 04-13-2012 02:11 PM

I thought tying up happened after a hard workout? Because of sweating causing a decline of necessary electrolytes. I'm going to watch this thread & see what gets posted.

GeeGee Gem 04-13-2012 02:34 PM

From what I've heard, if your horse is in regular work he should be ok within reason on any feed. avoid lush grass and assure he can always access water, adding electrolytes / salt to feeds after hard work.

WildAcreFarms 04-13-2012 02:37 PM

try Equime massage.

I have a friend who works at one of the local vets that is an equine masseuse.
she claims that massaging horses will relieve the tying up issues because it helps cleanse toxins from the muscle (i think that was the reason she gave).

she learned form the lady that created equine massage and it was created for TB race horses. She claims that it works miracles on horses with tying up issues. IF i had recently acquired a horse with this problem i'd give it a try. what do you have to lose?

WildAcreFarms 04-13-2012 02:39 PM

Oh and welcome!!

Welcome to the forum.
there and many knowledgeable people here willing to help and share experience with any horse issue.

Good luck with your new TB and enjoy the forum :)

Equitation4life 04-15-2012 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the ideas :)

Saddlebag 04-15-2012 03:35 PM

Research Azutoria. That is likely your best source of information. Stress can bring it on as well. There are lots of natural sugars in carrots and apples but they contains potassium and other beneficial vitamins.